4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Control Arm install Q's

Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default Control Arm install Q's

Do I need to replace the bushing on the axle that the UCA connects to? Nobody mentions it in the posts/installs/kits so I'm assuming no.

Also, how important is new hardware? My UCA's/LCA's didn't come with any besides the standoffs for the sphericals, so I was just going to reuse the stock hardware.

Thanks guys! Other than that I think I got it.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Check your inbox

Jazzer
Old 04-27-2010, 09:31 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Check your inbox

Jazzer
Hahah. My impatience got the best of me.

Thanks mang. RE-plied.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:56 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Steeda has upper control arm poly bushings for $50.....is that only for 2 of them on the axles?!?!? That's crazy!

Though I did just read MM's site and it says they recommend stock replacements for the duty I'll be seeing.....

Last edited by joeybutts; 04-27-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

As long as they look fine I wouldnt bother replacing them. I just did control arms 2 weeks ago and i bought replacement ones but didnt use them cause the stock ones would not come out.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Thanks Ub. I got my uppers in last night and the axle UCA bushings look a little rough. I kept them in there but will replace them when I get a chance in the near future for piece of mind.

I got the Upper Control Arms on last night and WOW what a difference just those made. The stock bushings in one control arm was nearly gone (literally) and the other is soon to be. I need to pick up the bushings housed in the axle that the uppers go around soon because they are almost toast.

I've only driven the car a couple miles but it feels worlds different. a good bit of the tail wag is gone, the car feels like it is in a stance instead of flat and dead. I put the length at stock length and should get the pinion angle checked to see if there are any issues there.

Hoping on Thursday to get the Lowers in and then lining up some one to install the sub frames in May. I can't wait to get the lowers in this week and oh boy the sub frames. Sub frames should be quite drastic in this wet noodle (that's what a couple guys call it on my local forum). Can only imagine what this car is going to feel like when done.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

any body else have to drop their exhaust to get to the front LCA bolts? Looks like it is going to make it much easier for me to do it that way....
Old 04-29-2010, 07:09 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Well UCA/LCA are in! Car feels awesome. Much tighter and sure footed.

Only one problem. I have two different noises coming from the rear now. one is a terrible creaking noise and one is a thunk noise. They both happen when I set the car in motion, or buck the car from a cruise. They both sound like they are coming from the passenger rear.

Any idea what this is? One thing I can think of is that the adjustments aren't right, but I set the upper's to the same thread count and the lower's to the same thread count at the same length as stock.

U-joints? car has 120,000 on it.....

?????
Old 04-30-2010, 12:35 PM
jr50rider
1st Gear Member

what kind of arms did you go with? i am on the hunt for uppers and lowers to replace the factory units as well. you mentione the read is tighter? does that mean the axle doesn't sway back and forth? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

YES. The axle and body feel much more aligned when changing lanes, turning, anything not in a straight line. Also, the car feels more lively, not lively in the sense that it is moving around on you, but just ready. I don't know how to describe it.

from UPR. and their customer service is top notch the few times I have used them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Control Arm install Q's