4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tuners- what would you suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 11:27 PM
StangMan04
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tuners- what would you suggest?

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

Do most (or all) of these tuners only work on late models from '99 up? Is there one available that will work on the '96 to '98 era Stangs? Thanks for the info.
Yes, the xcal in which I am selling works on 96+ stangs. check it out... www.sctflash.com/xcalibrator.php

if ur interested PM me or email me at craigbiggio07@aol.com
Old 08-05-2005, 01:56 AM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

how in the world did you gain that much mileage w/4.10's i just put on 3.73's last weekend and i can already tell that im not gonna have as good of mileage
Old 08-05-2005, 02:01 AM
StangMan04
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jkm1987

how in the world did you gain that much mileage w/4.10's i just put on 3.73's last weekend and i can already tell that im not gonna have as good of mileage

were u referring to me? I never said I gained mileage, I gained HP= horsepower
Old 08-05-2005, 03:54 AM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Batmanstang

Thanks for the replies.

What am I looking at for an hp increase?

Will this actually effect my gas mileage?

Is it better to buy new or used? Isn't the chip soddered to the comp?

For HP increase refer to my thread 'Bone-stock dyno tune....' for numbers I got with a tuner and 87,89 and 92 octane, you should be pleasantly surprised after reading other people in this thread say 5-7 HP (I gained 14 RWHP on 92 octane).

Gas mileage will get better... however, if you do a higher octane tune (the only way to garuntee some gains in power), you'll be paying a bit more for gas.

New or used shouldn't matter, the tuner just plugs into something under the seat and re-programs the cars chip as desired.. nothing to it.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:31 AM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for the replies.

What am I looking at for an hp increase?

Will this actually effect my gas mileage?

Is it better to buy new or used? Isn't the chip soddered to the comp?
I estimate a increase of 15 HP, and your gas mileage may actually improve a little. Used tuners are fine and can do everything a new one of the same model can do. If you don't buy the XCalibrator from StangMan04, I just saw a Predator with accessories for sale this morning on another site available for $280 shipped.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Batmanstang
1st Gear Member

Yeah I got 90-100 miles extra a tank after I did all that work. Believe me I was surprised!!! I think it's a combination of everything: the added hp, the less amount of gas it takes to go faster (due to the 410s) and the fact that I am now using super instead of reg. Last tank was 357 miles!

Would I get more hp out of a superchip than a tuner? One of my friends added 45 hp with his audi superchip and another one added 80hp with his golf.

I was also thinking about just getting that gear to put in the trans to fix the speedometer. Anyone have any experience with this? Or should I just go the route of the chip?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:45 PM
StangMan04
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I got 90-100 miles extra a tank after I did all that work. Believe me I was surprised!!! I think it's a combination of everything: the added hp, the less amount of gas it takes to go faster (due to the 410s) and the fact that I am now using super instead of reg. Last tank was 357 miles!

Would I get more hp out of a superchip than a tuner? One of my friends added 45 hp with his audi superchip and another one added 80hp with his golf.

I was also thinking about just getting that gear to put in the trans to fix the speedometer. Anyone have any experience with this? Or should I just go the route of the chip?
There is no way you will get 45hp or 80hp increase out of a tune, unless your HIGHLY modded. And both a tuner and chip will give you about the same gains.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:03 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

You are getting what seems to be an extra 90-100 miles per tank beacause your odometer is overstating your mileage by 15%. You can't use a gear to correct your speedometer on a '99 model.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Batmanstang
1st Gear Member

You are getting what seems to be an extra 90-100 miles per tank beacause your odometer is overstating your mileage by 15%. You can't use a gear to correct your speedometer on a '99 model.
Hmmm. I didn't think my odometer could be incorrect?? I'll clock it and compare with another car.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:16 PM
StangMan04
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm. I didn't think my odometer could be incorrect?? I'll clock it and compare with another car.
Without a tune or speed-cal then your odometer has to be off if you have gears.

Quick Reply: Tuners- what would you suggest?