4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New To Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:04 AM
JamesDean
2nd Gear Member

Default New To Nitrous

Hello,

I have a 2003 Mustang GT with:
K&N CAI
Accufab Plenum and TB
.500 lift cams
Ported Cylinder heads
BBK Long Tube Headers
H-pipe
Magnaflow Cat Back
3:73 Rear end
Dyno Tune putting me at 325rwhp and 330 torque

Other mods I would expect to be unimportant to the nitrous
10.5in rear wheels
315/35/17 tires
Upper and lower CA
Adjustable rear shocks
Rebuilt Transmission
Kustom Dual Performance Disc

My automotive knowledge is very limited. I had professionals pick out the cams and do the work. I did choose the other parts after talking to professionals and doing lots of reading. So I am considering nitrous. From scanning the forums I have determined a few things and I wanted to check to see if I have this correct. If any information is incorrect please correct me.

1. I can run a 75shot (dry) without a dyno tune.

2. I need a better fuel pump.

3. I do not need bigger injectors.

4. A 10lb bottle is good for about 7 -9 runs

5. Its 3.50 at least per pound of nitrous.

6. If I bought a complete nitrous kit, I would still need to get a bigger fuel pump.

7. A complete kit should run me about $600 new.

8. People are saying that the work is easy and they have done it themselves. I have
installed a line lock and most of the bolt on parts on my car. I have also built computes
and wired my radio/navigation system/ipod dock, sub, and amp. Am I capable of installing the nitrous kit?

9. Is there anything else I need to know?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:26 PM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

the main problem is your car is already tuned. you can run safely on a 100 shot on a factory tune not if your car has already been tuned. you will have to be retuned for the nitrous. other than that everything else is correct.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:36 PM
JamesDean
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I though of one more thing. Logic would dictate that a smaller shot for example a 75shot would take longer to drain your bottle than a larger shot. Correct?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:42 PM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

correct. one other thing make sure you get a window switch as well so you can set when the nitrous comes on and goes off
Old 05-30-2010, 12:43 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesDean
Hello,
If any information is incorrect please correct me.

1. I can run a 75shot (dry) without a dyno tune.
absolutely not
2. I need a better fuel pump.
i would say its a good idea running cams and a dry shot
3. I do not need bigger injectors.
dry shot relies on the injectors to add the needed fuel. stock injectors (since i dont see your current size listed) are not good for 400+hp which is what you will be running on the gas
4. A 10lb bottle is good for about 7 -9 runs
depends but about yes
5. Its 3.50 at least per pound of nitrous.
depends where you fill it, shops will charge a lot less than the track will
6. If I bought a complete nitrous kit, I would still need to get a bigger fuel pump.
nitrous kits will not come with injectors or pump
7. A complete kit should run me about $600 new.
depends. baseline kits yes but when you start getting all the bells and whistles that are highly reccomended price goes up. bottle heaters, purge, window/wot/fuel pressure switches, etc...
8. People are saying that the work is easy and they have done it themselves. I have
installed a line lock and most of the bolt on parts on my car. I have also built computes
and wired my radio/navigation system/ipod dock, sub, and amp. Am I capable of installing the nitrous kit?
nitrous is stupid easy to hook up especially a dry kit that doesnt even have to tap into a fuel line

9. Is there anything else I need to know?
get a window switch, wot switch, and fuel pressure cutoff
answered in quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:55 PM
JamesDean
2nd Gear Member

Do I need a purge?

What kind of fuel pump should I get?

I have stock injectors. So I need to upgrade?

How is nitrous operated.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:35 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

purge is kinda nice to have but i know many ppl running without. all it does is purge the line so the nitrous is ready to go so theres no delay from the time it's activated since it will have to spray air out instead of nitrous.

yeah you will need injectors. im surprised you didnt need them with the numbers your putting down right now?

svt focus pump or similar will be fine.

nitrous is no longer operated like fast and the furious where you push a button to control it. you CAN run that way, but it's not safe. typically you get a WOT switch and prefferably a window switch. WOT switch means the nitrous will be activated on wide open throttle. you want a window switch so it will only spray nitrous between a certain RPM range. with a wet kit you run the risk of puddling fuel in the intake if you spray at too low of an RPM. and you don't want to hit your rev limiter and keep spraying because rev limiter cuts fuel. spraying nitrous with no fuel = super lean = engine go boom. so this way it will only spray nitrous from 3000-5800rpm and you wont run the risk of doing something dumb. whenever you are WOT and in the specified RPM range, nitrous is spraying. you don't have to push any buttons on your dash or any of that stuff just put the pedal to the floor

read this, it was in the stickies.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipe...tall-tips.html
Old 05-30-2010, 08:43 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

OP, are you looking at just a 75 shot and no more? Also, are you set on a dry kit?
Old 05-31-2010, 02:10 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
purge is kinda nice to have but i know many ppl running without. all it does is purge the line so the nitrous is ready to go so theres no delay from the time it's activated since it will have to spray air out instead of nitrous.

yeah you will need injectors. im surprised you didnt need them with the numbers your putting down right now?

svt focus pump or similar will be fine.

nitrous is no longer operated like fast and the furious where you push a button to control it. you CAN run that way, but it's not safe. typically you get a WOT switch and prefferably a window switch. WOT switch means the nitrous will be activated on wide open throttle. you want a window switch so it will only spray nitrous between a certain RPM range. with a wet kit you run the risk of puddling fuel in the intake if you spray at too low of an RPM. and you don't want to hit your rev limiter and keep spraying because rev limiter cuts fuel. spraying nitrous with no fuel = super lean = engine go boom. so this way it will only spray nitrous from 3000-5800rpm and you wont run the risk of doing something dumb. whenever you are WOT and in the specified RPM range, nitrous is spraying. you don't have to push any buttons on your dash or any of that stuff just put the pedal to the floor

read this, it was in the stickies.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipe...tall-tips.html
good info. I didn't know a thing about nitrous and now I know a bit more, thanks.

Nitrous sounds like the drug dealers lifestyle, in lame terms. A drug dealer gets hooked to easy money and I'm sure getting hooked to easy HP sounds seemingly easy although very dangerous. lol

I don't mean to hijack, but a dry kit shoots nitrous str8 into the combustion chamber and a wet kit shoots mixed with fuel right? Or wth am I talking about?

Last edited by nascrchi; 05-31-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:00 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
good info. I didn't know a thing about nitrous and now I know a bit more, thanks.

Nitrous sounds like the drug dealers lifestyle, in lame terms. A drug dealer gets hooked to easy money and I'm sure getting hooked to easy HP sounds seemingly easy although very dangerous. lol

I don't mean to hijack, but a dry kit shoots nitrous str8 into the combustion chamber and a wet kit shoots mixed with fuel right? Or wth am I talking about?
That's basically correct on the dry kit. At that point fuel will then be brought in to complete the process.

Quick Reply: New To Nitrous