4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best drag radial for the $

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:46 PM
thasalvoo
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Best drag radial for the $

JD did i recommend anything ????????????? i just let him know i ordered them and i will "let him know how they are" next time re-read the post.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:49 PM
thasalvoo
1st Gear Member

i really truly hate posting on here .... it seems that everone reads into what you say in a totally wrong way.... every single time i post i get a smart @ss comment. AMAZING
Old 08-08-2005, 08:50 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

For cars with relativly little HP then Nittos will be fine. For 400rwhp I highly reccomend the M/T, it uses the same compound rubber as the full slick but has radial construction. BFG's are taking cars into the 8's. It's funny that so many people say "get Nittos" but they really have not had other brands to comapre them to.
I think it is total BS that nittos are no good for a 400 RWHP car. MD was running nittos and was running something in the 11.8xs on a 400 RWHP car. You have to heat em up at the track, but there is absolutly no comparason with the tread wear in the other tires.

However, since he is planning on using different rims anyway, I would suggest the MTs, since they seem to be the stickyest out there, and he shouldn't care about tire wear.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:56 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: thasalvoo

JD did i recommend anything ????????????? i just let him know i ordered them and i will "let him know how they are" next time re-read the post.
I did read your post thank you very much. Why even post if you have NO EXPERIANCE with the tires, that does not help anyone. Now if you had them on your car and used them for awhile then by all means post your thoughts. Some of us get alittle testy about the tech stuff being posted here, as alot of bad advice/misinformation is circulating as of late. For a prime example look at all the gear posts, 99% of the people who are giving advice cannot even do simple math.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:58 PM
thasalvoo
1st Gear Member

i totally understand im sick of reading stupid posts.... but i was just letting him know i will inform him when i get them ... which is tomorrow... i didnt mean to be rude.. i think im a little frusturated with the posts on here too.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

I definitely agree, JD...about the bad advice on gears and what not.

I hate to sound rude...or downright blunt, but this board is by far the most ignorant group of members I have ever met. This group as a whole, of course...there are a few brains. But for the most part, this board is a bunch of punk kids that know a whole lotta nothing.

This is going bring some flaming...so bring it.

No harm intended, just my observation.

Thanks for the input by the way, fellas.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:03 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

For cars with relativly little HP then Nittos will be fine. For 400rwhp I highly reccomend the M/T, it uses the same compound rubber as the full slick but has radial construction. BFG's are taking cars into the 8's. It's funny that so many people say "get Nittos" but they really have not had other brands to comapre them to.
I think it is total BS that nittos are no good for a 400 RWHP car. MD was running nittos and was running something in the 11.8xs on a 400 RWHP car. You have to heat em up at the track, but there is absolutly no comparason with the tread wear in the other tires.

However, since he is planning on using different rims anyway, I would suggest the MTs, since they seem to be the stickyest out there, and he shouldn't care about tire wear.
The Nitto have excellent tread wear, I have always said that. But you don't need to look much further than NMRA Factory Stock to see why nobody uses the Nitto. Basicly there are two tires that are legal for the class, BFG and Nitto, and guess how many guys use the Nitto? Thats right zero. The highst hp car in the class make around 370 to the tire and he yanks the front tires on a BFG. I know that MD had a Nitto on his car but alone does not mean that it is the best tire, hell he might have gone a tenth or two faster on a M/T or a BFG.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:10 PM
thasalvoo
1st Gear Member

i second that.... there are so many of the same posts
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...3gmhtp_rippin/
well heres a review not a personal one, but a review
Old 08-08-2005, 09:19 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Thats a good article but they are not talking about drag radials.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:49 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

The Nitto have excellent tread wear, I have always said that. But you don't need to look much further than NMRA Factory Stock to see why nobody uses the Nitto. Basicly there are two tires that are legal for the class, BFG and Nitto, and guess how many guys use the Nitto? Thats right zero. The highst hp car in the class make around 370 to the tire and he yanks the front tires on a BFG. I know that MD had a Nitto on his car but alone does not mean that it is the best tire, hell he might have gone a tenth or two faster on a M/T or a BFG.
Obviously it is a stickyer tire. But for the street, 400 HP or 200 HP, there is no comparason. Like I said, if tread wear is no option run M/T, but if you want more than 2-3 thousand miles out of your tires you should run nitto.

The NMRA guys are going to run the absolute best equipment they can for performance, and no doubt the MT tires will hook better, but I think you would have a hard time telling the difference between the two on the street. I have only seen one vid of a mustang jerking the tires off the ground on the street, you just can't get good traction like a prepared surface at the track.

Quick Reply: Best drag radial for the $