4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Thinking about changing all fluids to synthetic, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:06 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Default Thinking about changing all fluids to synthetic, thoughts?

I was thinking of running Amsoil universal ATF in my ps and trans, and Amsoil engine oil as well. I will also be flushing the brake fluid and filling with syntetic, as well as flushing the coolant. Also I was thinking of changing the rear end fluid out with some amsoil synthetic as well. My car has 54k miles on it now, and probably sat a lot, so I'm thinking the fluids should probably be changed reguardless or mileage. Thoughts?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:22 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

why are you going synthetic? If you don't mind paying more to change fluids a little less often then thats fine, but synthetics are only good for their longevity and nothing more over dino oil.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:50 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Try Motorcraft semi-syth for motor oil
Cheap at wally world and good stuff, win-win situation!!
Old 06-15-2010, 04:27 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

IMO synthetic is a waste of money unless your motor is a $200,000 nascar motor. My last car was a '92 GT and had 251000 miles on it, didn't smoke and ran just as smooth as when it was new, the oil I used was the same I use now, SuperTech 5w-20 wal-mart brand.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

+1 to what everyone has said op.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:56 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

It makes me feel better haha, also the change intervals are nicer too. I'v seen a big difference in how clean engines are, and how well they last running a good synthetic vs non. I like the detergents Amsoil uses to keep things clean, and the friction modifiers in some of their oils I have had good experiences with. Less friction is always good too, gas mileage and hp. Minimal I know, but it helps me sleep at night haha.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:18 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I agree with all of the above--also at 54k miles (you really have a '69 Mustang with 54k on it?) changing all the fluids is just plain ol' good maintenance.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:18 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Try Motorcraft semi-syth for motor oil
Cheap at wally world and good stuff, win-win situation!!
+1 the f-250 gets that lol.

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
It makes me feel better haha, also the change intervals are nicer too. I'v seen a big difference in how clean engines are, and how well they last running a good synthetic vs non. I like the detergents Amsoil uses to keep things clean, and the friction modifiers in some of their oils I have had good experiences with. Less friction is always good too, gas mileage and hp. Minimal I know, but it helps me sleep at night haha.
Have you really or have you just given into commercial advertising? Have you really seen two motors with the same milage with the oil changed at correct intervals? (3k dino 5k synthetic). Yes synthetic lasts longer but you also pay more, for me changing my oil is not much hassle at all. If a car is maintained dino oil is doing the job just as well as synthetic. We've had a few vehichles break the 300k mark burning little to no oil, its all about maintance. Hell theres still a 91 ford ranger running around with 375k that we once owned.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:34 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
Have you really or have you just given into commercial advertising? Have you really seen two motors with the same milage with the oil changed at correct intervals? (3k dino 5k synthetic). Yes synthetic lasts longer but you also pay more, for me changing my oil is not much hassle at all. If a car is maintained dino oil is doing the job just as well as synthetic. We've had a few vehichles break the 300k mark burning little to no oil, its all about maintance. Hell theres still a 91 ford ranger running around with 375k that we once owned.
Yup, but...

I'm not even inclined to allow that it lasts longer; as there's nothing about it that reduces combustion by-products (water vapour, acids, carbon, etc.), or that extends the additive life. 20% of motor oil is additives, the same additives regardless of the base stock (dino or synthetic).

This said, I have been running 10W-40 Pennzoil (or "Q", same thing) synthetic in my '03 GT for 70k miles, mostly because it's reasonably priced at Wally-World--but also changed every 3000 miles for the reasons stated above.

At the first sign of consumption it will go over to 10W-40 Valvoline MaxLife; I have run 4 or 5 cars to over 300k miles on that stuff...
Old 06-15-2010, 09:05 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

^ i was skeptical as well but IIRC it was either HOSS or Defcon(im thinking HOSS) that said they ran tests either at his school or work and synthetic did outlast dino oil, even though both ran for longer than the 3k/5k guidelines. However, again IIRC he said there was no power gain, i forget if they tore the motors apart to see the condition of the internals.

Quick Reply: Thinking about changing all fluids to synthetic, thoughts?