4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bought new tires...Question first.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Default Bought new tires...Question first.

Well I bought 4 new tires from a well known company (I'll leave their name out). I got the receipt and I was charged for the 4 tires, 4 "premium" valve stems lol, free front wheel alignment, a factory recommended alignment, mount+balance of 4 tires and a disposal fee of old tires...

My question being this...with any purchase of 2 or 4 tires, they do a front wheel alignment for free...OK, so what is this factory recommended alignment that I'm getting charged $50? Also the "junk tires" were just mounted 3 days ago, so the vave stems can be reused and I'm taking the old tires with me so no more disposal fee.

car has 467XX mi on it, and I'm going to have them take off the $50 alignment. I had 315's on before these and the wear was even.

How do you even "align" the rear tires on these cars? I never really thought about it. I'm putting up this fuss because this could be $73 back in my pocket.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:16 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

OK, well ended up calling a different place to ask them nd they mentioned that our cars have a "thrust angle" in which some aspects of the front end are based off the rear axle/wheels. At least that's what I think I understood from him.

Jazzer/Cliffy or any one else shed some light on why this alignment would be needed?
I have slight negative camber (I'm assuming associated with the lowering springs, but I'm around 1.25" lower than stock with no CC plates) which has not seemed to affect the wear of the tires greatly and I have read is good for a little better cornering.

I remember either Jazzer or Cliffy recommending a negative camber number good for cornering. I have a feeling if I don't say anything they will put my car back to stock specs. But then again if they don't I don't know how it will effect the warranty on the tires.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

when i changed my tires, i didn't need an alignment.. sounds to me like theyre jerkin ya bro

edit: unless you just put on the springs and camber angle. then i do think you'd need an alignment. but you shouldn't need one if you only got new tires

Last edited by trailor; 06-29-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 AM
02ROLLER

Originally Posted by trailor
when i changed my tires, i didn't need an alignment.. sounds to me like theyre jerkin ya bro

edit: unless you just put on the springs and camber angle. then i do think you'd need an alignment. but you shouldn't need one if you only got new tires
i 2nd that. I got 4 new tires 2 weeks ago and all they did was balance them and throw em on. And that was at a firestone shop.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:03 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

mine was at the ford dealership..
Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

well I do need a front end alignment, my steering wheel is cocked a little to the left when going straight. The car will track straight, it's just the wheel is off. So for that reason I will take advantage of the front end, but this other aligment is due to it "being a mustang"

I actually called a different place than where I bought the tires(same company). Guy said since it's a mustang it's how the factory set it up blah blah. He seemed like a good ****, I have never heard of two different types of alignments. I'll make sure I get to the bottom of it before they go on. I just wonder if I tell them not to do it, would they say "then we can't honor these warranties yada yada" But on the receipt it specifically states "align front wheels...FREE"
Old 06-29-2010, 12:44 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Thrust angle alignment is a real thing on our cars, although it's really more of a thrust angle check and validation as there is nothing adjustable on the rear-end of the "solid" axle suspension. It's something they can claim they did, and charge extra for, but the real story is that the alignment frame probably wouldn't let them check/adjust the front without the targets clamped to the rear wheels as well.

Most if not all tire shops will not reuse valve stems. In this litigious society I don't blame them, if something did go wrong and a trial lawyer got them in court and said "So, you used OLD valve stems?" they'd be toast...

The factory camber spec of -0.75° sucks, I have no other description for it. It makes for great tire wear, and causes horrible levels of under steer and make fast turns feel as though there were a 12' plow on the front end.

I run -1.5°, IIRC Jazzer said he was pushing -3.0°. If you ask that they set it up that way I doubt very much they will provide any tread wear warranty--I wouldn't--they may not provide any warranty if they are dicks...
Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The steering wheel alignment can be easily fixed, in less than 10 minutes.

In your case, with the wheel cocked to the left while traveling in a straight line, it means you have lengthen the tie-rod on the driver's side, and shorten the passenger side rod.

Loosen the lock nut and "unscrew" the rod on the driver's side 1/2 turn or so making it "longer" (and tighten the lock nut of course). Then make the passenger side rod shorter by screwing it in 1/2 turn.

Because you are making the same, but opposite, adjustments on each side you will not have changed the toe-in setting.

It's best to make some reference marks on the tie-rod end, and the rod itself, before your start so that you can get things back to where they were if needed. Also, as the ball-end will want to swivel a bit so make sure you hold it "level" when you adjust the rod end--to make the adjustments more precise.

I do this all the time after an alignment as steering wheel alignment is one of my pet annoyances...
Old 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Thats what I thought about the rear end not being able to be adjusted. I can see if then need referances of the back to align he front end....but then this "other" alignemnt makes no sense to me. I'll have them explain it in great detail before they touch my car and I pay $50 for something that does squat. I'm planning on doing this tonight after work so the more replies here will help A LOT.

I can see your point on valve stems as the guy said they are made of more organic rubber and not treated with chemicals which help withstand weather conditions. But this other alignment shinannigans....I don't know lol seems fishy. I'll ask them if they align the front end "What exactly are you aligning/fixing with this other $50 alignment".

Cliff I will have them adress the steering wheel situation as I see that as part of a "front end alignemnt" and should be free. Seems simple, but it will be in the air and they can have fun with it
Old 06-29-2010, 01:18 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

i would simply tell them not to touch the rear end, period. even if they dont warranty the alignment, you could fix it yourself as cliffy explained above if anything ever does go wrong.

Quick Reply: Bought new tires...Question first.