4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Service Engine Light w/ headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 02:45 PM
03gtstang
1st Gear Member

Default Service Engine Light w/ headers

I just got new mac headers installed, and the service engine light came on. I am ordering a mil eliminiator to resolve it, but was wondering how well they worked for other people. Also until I get the mil eliminator, am i safe to drive it. I've heard that it may run extra lean without the eliminator, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Service Engine Light w/ headers

You won't run lean with the eliminators.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:15 PM
00silvergt
1st Gear Member

You should get a tuner. I have the predator and you can disable the mils so the light dont come on. You can also do alot more and it is worth the money.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:34 PM
03gtstang
1st Gear Member

I probably will get the tuner eventually, but need something until then. But I just want to make sure i'm not going to be running extra lean until i get the eliminators installed.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 03gtstang

I probably will get the tuner eventually, but need something until then. But I just want to make sure i'm not going to be running extra lean until i get the eliminators installed.
You won't run lean. Why would it run lean?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:12 PM
guarnibl
1st Gear Member

Did you get your code read?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:43 PM
03BlackBetty

I have the same thing with my 03 GT, I have BBK headers and the light comes on periodically.

It'll come on for a day or so, then be off for a week, and come back. I took it to the Ford Dealer to have the code read and check it out,
they said it was just b/c of the headers/exhaust and it wasn't a problem, but I will be getting a tunner to correct this annoyance anyway
Old 08-08-2005, 09:59 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03gtstang

I just got new mac headers installed, and the service engine light came on. I am ordering a mil eliminiator to resolve it, but was wondering how well they worked for other people. Also until I get the mil eliminator, am i safe to drive it. I've heard that it may run extra lean without the eliminator, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
They will not make the car run lean. The rear o2 sensors only make sure the cats are running. I assume you got a o/r X pipe along with the headers?

DO NOT put the mil eliminators on the front o2 sensors. They are for the rear only.

BTW, if you are planning on getting a tune anytime soon, just send the mils back and tell em to turn off the rear sensors when they tune it.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:54 AM
Blinkstang
1st Gear Member

I have MAC LT's along with MILs. It didn't resolve my problem. You should get the code run. I had two trouble codes for the front 02 sensor heater. I still have the problem and was told it could be taken care of with a tune, which is what I am doing soon. I read that with the headers, it places the front 02 sensors further up, and thus at startup they take longer to heat up, and thus they trip the CEL light and can also give you a rough start occassionaly. 3 different times, when cold cranking, my car felt like it wanted to die on me, until i let it warm up for about 5-7 minutes. So I would get the code run first, free at any Autozone!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:39 AM
03gtstang
1st Gear Member

Ya, I have the mils on order, but they were only $10, so if they don't work i can just get a tune. The light doesn't bother me so much, i just wanted to make sure that my air/fuel mixture isn't all out of wack. Thanks for all the input guys!

Quick Reply: Service Engine Light w/ headers