4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Motor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 02:46 PM
mustangmike01
2nd Gear Member

Default Motor question

I'm going to put in a 04 cobra motor, this winter in my mustang. To save some money for mods, should I find a totaled 03 or 04 cobra? Is it a good idea to buy a used motor or should I just buy a new motor from ford? Is there a web site I can find totaled cobra's on?

Thanks, Mike
Old 08-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Showrides.Net
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Motor question

Never get the engine from Ford. They sell them for around 11-12k I thought. I could be wrong. I know some people who sell them for around 7-9k. If you want I can talk with them and see if they can hook you up with one.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:00 PM
mustangmike01
2nd Gear Member

Yes; from Ford for a 04 motor with s/c it is $12,000 new.

I would still need the computer, wire harness, rateater and more. I do not want the stock s/c. I'm going with the Whipple s/c 16psi. My gall is over 600rwhp. If I can find a totaled cobra a can get all of it. I know with all the parts and mods and labor is will come out to around $20,000. If I go with a totaled cobra I can run on the stock s/c for a year intill I save up some more money for the Whipple s/c. Is this a good idea? The motor you say is around 7-9k, is it used or new and what dose it come with.

Thanks, Mike
Old 08-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Showrides.Net
1st Gear Member

Well the 7-9k is brand new. Ford just jacks up their prices for some reason on them. If you want i will look into it for you. I will find out all the things that it comes with and see what kind of a deal I can get.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:28 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

If you want to find a wrecked Cobra go to www.car-part.com you usually get the computer with the engine from a salvage yard and a Warrenty. Here is another option go to www.fordracingparts.com and go into the crate engine section you can get a 2000 4.6L Cobra engine for $5995 with the computer. Since your gonna put a aftermarket S/C why not save a little on the engine and S/C the one from Ford Racing.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:01 PM
mustangmike01
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Showrides.Net

Well the 7-9k is brand new. Ford just jacks up their prices for some reason on them. If you want i will look into it for you. I will find out all the things that it comes with and see what kind of a deal I can get.
That would be grate PM me when you get the info. Thanks

bramas02;
I know a friend that has that motor in his 01 Cobra and he can not put out anymore than 10psi max. The internals will not take it. I'm looking to put out 16psi.

Thanks, Mike

Old 08-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bramas02

If you want to find a wrecked Cobra go to www.car-part.com you usually get the computer with the engine from a salvage yard and a Warrenty. Here is another option go to www.fordracingparts.com and go into the crate engine section you can get a 2000 4.6L Cobra engine for $5995 with the computer. Since your gonna put a aftermarket S/C why not save a little on the engine and S/C the one from Ford Racing.

Gee, I don't know, maybe it's because the 00 engines aren't forged like the 03/04's are...

Just a guess.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:56 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangmike01

I'm going to put in a 04 cobra motor, this winter in my mustang. To save some money for mods, should I find a totaled 03 or 04 cobra? Is it a good idea to buy a used motor or should I just buy a new motor from ford? Is there a web site I can find totaled cobra's on?

Thanks, Mike
You do realise for less money and hassle you can make your 2v perform just as well right?? You are looking at at least 10K with the computer and everything (maybe more), and 10K would build one hell of a sweet 2v modular. I see later you on said you will not be keeping the stock blower, so you might as well add another 5K or so to that total.

Forged internals (aftermarket ones better than the ones in the 4v, and lets you stroke to a 302), ported heads, cams, P-51 intake manifold, and a whole lot of boost would make more power than a stock unported 4v.

Basically you are talking:

Forged internals: 2000
P-51 intake: 1200
Cams 550
Springs 200
Heads (new) 1300

Total is only 5250 dollars. You still have plenty left over for a supercharger and any supporting mods you don't already have (looks like you have a nice list going), and if you take into account that you are going to buy a new blower for the 4V anyway, you still have enough coin to get a set of really nice twin turbos.

TT built 2V > Blown unbuilt 4V.

Plus it is lighter, and you don't have to deal with swapping out the harness and computer.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:34 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: mustangmike01

Thanks, Mike
You do realise for less money and hassle you can make your 2v perform just as well right?? You are looking at at least 10K with the computer and everything (maybe more), and 10K would build one hell of a sweet 2v modular. I see later you on said you will not be keeping the stock blower, so you might as well add another 5K or so to that total.

Forged internals (aftermarket ones better than the ones in the 4v, and lets you stroke to a 302), ported heads, cams, P-51 intake manifold, and a whole lot of boost would make more power than a stock unported 4v.

Basically you are talking:

Forged internals: 2000
P-51 intake: 1200
Cams 550
Springs 200
Heads (new) 1300

Total is only 5250 dollars. You still have plenty left over for a supercharger and any supporting mods you don't already have (looks like you have a nice list going), and if you take into account that you are going to buy a new blower for the 4V anyway, you still have enough coin to get a set of really nice twin turbos.

TT built 2V > Blown unbuilt 4V.

Plus it is lighter, and you don't have to deal with swapping out the harness and computer.
Smart MAN!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:29 PM
mustangmike01
2nd Gear Member

I know what you're saying. I was going to do that, but the $5,250 plus laber and the KB s/c it will be as mush as the Cobra motor. My s/c is don, I need a new now. I've looked in to in but thanks. The shop that works on my car said, they could built me a motor, but they said it will not be as reliable as the 04 Cobra motor. I drive my mustang back and forth to work and car shows. I've never bin to the track, and I do not plan on going. My gall is 600rwhp so there is no need for TT. I like the sound of the s/c anyway, bedsides I have a turbo car as a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Motor question