4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

really need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:31 PM
changolocs85
1st Gear Member

Default really need help

hey everyone, i need you guys and gals technical expertise. my car was running fine, no issues, turned it off, when into taco bell, and when i came out it wont start. now for the details, i put the key in, everything gets power, i can hears all the dings and bings and beeps i usally hear. but i turn the key and nothing happens, no clicks no nothing. and my drivers side window isnt working, but my passesnger is. i was thinking its either p.a.t.s or that black box in the dash that beeps when the doors open. but not sure how to figure it out. thanks for any help guys. and the car is in a bad part of town so dont want to leave it over night.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:51 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you have a nasty short somewhere.

It could be a bad starter but i kind of doubt that due to the window thing. I would say are there any codes... but unless you have a tuner in the car with you I don't think your gonna easily make it to Autozone.

When the PATS is activated and feels there is a threat the Starter still rolls over and so does the engine it simply does not fire.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:58 PM
changolocs85
1st Gear Member

thnx for the speedy response but yea, i have a tuner, and the only code that came up was a egr code. i dont remember the exact code. but yea theres no starter action going on. its almost like theres no power to when i turn the key to the start position
Old 07-20-2010, 03:02 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It could be that the battery is bad--shorted cell most likely.

Mine died exactly like that. Did a few errands on a Saturday morning, then stopped at Ace Hardware; when I came out 5 minutes later the cluster and all would light up with the usual stuff, but no crank.

Went back in bought a cheap multimeter (like I needed another one) and checked the battery voltage while attempting to crank the engine--it was dropping off to less than 9.5V. Bummed a ride to Advance from the store owner (a fantastic lady), and was up and running in 10 minutes.

Check the battery voltage while attempting to turn it over...
Old 07-20-2010, 03:09 PM
changolocs85
1st Gear Member

thanks defcon and cliffy, all you guys here are awesome. ill go try that and see what happens
Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

This happened to me and I ended up getting it towed to the dealer and they literally 'giggled' wires around in the pass fender and it worked fine never had a problem since. If what defcon and cliffy don't work try that maybe
Old 07-21-2010, 07:06 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Blk003GT
This happened to me and I ended up getting it towed to the dealer and they literally 'giggled' wires around in the pass fender and it worked fine never had a problem since. If what defcon and cliffy don't work try that maybe
I think you mean "jiggled", which is what happened when Anna Nicole Smith ran up the beach--"giggled" is what the girl next door did when you "showed her yours"...
Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I think you mean "jiggled", which is what happened when Anna Nicole Smith ran up the beach--"giggled" is what the girl next door did when you "showed her yours"...
I am so stealing this line for my sig...lmao amazing...
Old 07-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

Lol well... idk u got me
Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 PM
changolocs85
1st Gear Member

well i got it figured out, a cable ende had come loose on my ignition switch, from when i had my alarm removed, and i guess it finally shimmied it self loose. popped it back in car started right up, im so releived. thanks everyone for the help, and you all have a good, day.