4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 07:33 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What should I look out for?

i saw a 99 gt in the paper today for 8700 i thought to myself "HMMMMMMMMMM" it said low miles, then it said AUTO, and i was like "NEXT"
Old 08-11-2005, 07:57 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: GiddiupStang

Bought my 97 Stang 5spd(all Stock) at 107K miles(2yrs ago). The only thing I had to do to it was at 116K miles the crappy plastic intake cracked-replaced with a PI intake/w aluminum runner), and a couple thousand miles later the TO bearing (clutch was still strong) went out which in turn I had a King Cobra Clutch installed. Other mods below added in between. Car still running strong [sm=gears.gif]. Lemme find some wood to knock on! Oh yeah, my uncle was a cabbie in NY and he had a Grand Marque as his cab and got over 300k miles on his 4.6 before he traded it... Go figure
you and bicketybam just jinxed yourselves big time with this thread. If I had 100,000+ on my car, i'd never speak of it.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:15 PM
GiddiupStang
1st Gear Member

I am so glad that I live in America [sm=americanasmiley.gif] Where I have the freedom of choice when it comes to buying a Mustang GT for around $5k with 108k miles on it Oh and also the freedom of speech [sm=americanasmiley.gif] If I want to tell folks how many miles my car has on it. "It's my prerogative" Oh by the way did I mention that it runs fine as wine with some kick in the pants too?? [sm=bounceybounce.gif]!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:18 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

I'll have 140k by tomorrow night, as I am driving to PA to get:

1. Fox body springs, Strange 10 way adj struts, Monroe shocks and caster/camber plates installed
2. Boost gauge and Line pressure gauge (to monitor meth/water injection) installed
3. 3.12 pulley for Vortech and a tune.

I talk all the time about the miles on my car for two reasons:

1. I'm proud to own an American made product that lasted this long with zero problems, and
2. I don't care if it blows up because I am doing a shortblock over the winter anyway

I will be sad to say goodbye to this "freak of nature".

Old 08-11-2005, 10:16 PM
bb1211
2nd Gear Member

FOR $10,000 you could fing a mustang with alot less miles, keep looking
Old 08-12-2005, 12:58 AM
Chris06

wow glad to hear about these cars with the high miles i was at first worried about putting so many miles on my car thinking it would force me into a lot of expensinces in the near future, i havent had my car all that long but i am glad to hear about so many mustangs doing so well after that many miles. it makes me worry a little less about driving mine more.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:11 AM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I am so glad that I live in America [sm=americanasmiley.gif] Where I have the freedom of choice when it comes to buying a Mustang GT for around $5k with 108k miles on it Oh and also the freedom of speech [sm=americanasmiley.gif] If I want to tell folks how many miles my car has on it. "It's my prerogative" Oh by the way did I mention that it runs fine as wine with some kick in the pants too?? [sm=bounceybounce.gif]!
do you know what "jinxed" means? It's like when a pitcher is throwing a no hitter in the 8th inning, and then somebody mentions it and the next guy gets a hit. Or in racing when a car is running well until somebody talks about it and it all goes to hell after they talk about it. It has nothing to do with america, how much your car costs, your freedom of speech, or your wine.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:08 AM
GiddiupStang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

do you know what "jinxed" means? It's like when a pitcher is throwing a no hitter in the 8th inning, and then somebody mentions it and the next guy gets a hit. Or in racing when a car is running well until somebody talks about it and it all goes to hell after they talk about it. It has nothing to do with america, how much your car costs, your freedom of speech, or your wine.

Yep, I know what "jinxed" means, A bunch of Superstition crap. All i'm saying is I bought my stang with over 100k miles on it(which I aint ashamed to tell ) and 2years later and 10k extra miles it's far from a engine rebuild.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:12 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

Yep, I know what "jinxed" means, A bunch of Superstition crap. All i'm saying is I bought my stang with over 100k miles on it(which I aint ashamed to tell ) and 2years later and 10k extra miles it's far from a engine rebuild.

^^^^ That is one thing when you do not drive it as a daily driver, and only put 10k on it in 2 years. But I would worry about something that one is going to drive everyday and put 13-18k on it a year and it is their only form of transportation and they will not have the capiability of it being down for months at a time if something major goes wrong with it. Now I am in no way saying that these motors will not last a really long time without any majoy work being needed, but that does depend on how it was taken care of during its entire life. I bought my mustang knowing that it will go close to 150k before I will need any major wotk done to it because of how I take care of my car. I had a 89 lx 5.0 notch back that in 4 years I put 145k on it and did not have any problems with it at all, except the typicals (brakes, clutch, oil) and I bought it with 65k on it. I think that most people on here are saying that if you are going to buy a car for your only transprotation as a daily driver, look for something with less miles on it for your piece of mind. Ok i am done now[sm=rant.gif]
Old 08-12-2005, 12:42 PM
c_lovdal

On the 01 gt with 110000 carfax report I saw that the car has been serviced regulary and the enginge was serviced at 71000.
Does this make any difference?