4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

1998 Mustang GT Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:52 AM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Default 1998 Mustang GT Issues

Hey,
I recently bought my first car, a 1998 Mustang GT convertible. It was very affordable and for a first car, it's amazing. I mean, I could show up and smoke anyone at my school, NOT that that's what I want to do. It's just bragging rights.

Anyways, it's a great car, but it has it's issues. So I am just going to post up the issues I want to be fixed and hopefully you all can help me out with them. Here it goes:

(Also keep in mind, the links are to fairly large photos, so dont click if you have slow internet!)

1.)Rust! There is some rust under the car, here is a picture:

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...n/DSCN1802.jpg

How can I solve this problem? What can I do to get this rust fixed and cleaned up right away? I don't want this getting worse.

2.)Is this normal?:

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...n/DSCN1803.jpg

This is a picture of weird cracks in the body where one of the hydraulics for the trunk lids attaches. I am not sure if this is a normal occurance or if it is anything significant. Please lemme know.

3.)What are the stock rim size? 17inch? I am looking to put a set of Bullitt rims on it, it has bigger rims that arent good looking in my opinion. The rims I want to put on are these:

http://alan927.jalbum.net/2008%20Det...tt%20Wheel.jpg

4.)I have not drove it yet, but I have started it up and the clutch is really hard to engage fully. When I watched my dad drive it, he had a hard time getting it into reverse. I am wondering what could be the possible cause of this?

5.)I have the Mach sound system in my Mustang, and I wanted to install a Pioneer reciever in the car. I am just wondering what reciever I can put into it without blowing out the speakers, as I have read that the Mach system can be a douche when it comes to aftermarket stuff. I want a Pioneer reciever that has an iPod plugin (or a USB or whatever).

6.)The top will barely go down on its own, and will not go up on it's own. What is the potential problem and what should I do to fix it?

7.)The A/C does not work. I am going to charge it and see if it lasts, but if not I suppose it has a leak. How much am I looking at to get the A/C fixed?

Haha that's alot more than I thought, but I need help with all of this guys! so anyone who has something helpful I am willing to listen.

Thanks,
DMD
Old 08-06-2010, 02:59 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

1) you show me a DD car that is 12 years old and doesnt have rust under it.

2.) never seen that before. personally if its not cracked where anyone can see it and trunk doesnt leak, i wouldnt worry about it. theres any number of reasons that could have cracked (a car accident, mis-use of the trunk, was taken off a car that was wrecked previously, etc...)

3.) stock rims are 17x8's on gt's. you'll want 17x9's, possibly with some 17x10.5's in the rear if u want to go through that headache (cant rotate tires easily and tires are more expensive).

4.) clutch i can't say because whats normal to you and normal to me are 2 different things, these clutches are cable driven not hydraulic. so if you are used to a hydro clutch, it will feel stiff as hell compared to that. the reverse thing is simple. put the car in first, pull forward just an inch or 2, then it should slide right into reverse. may want to change all fluids to include the tranny and rear end since you have no idea when the last time it was properly serviced. if none of that helps, your synchros may be going bad.

5.) youll be fine with the deck so long as you arent cranking the volume up to the point where sound is distorted. its "a douche" with aftermarket stuff because you have to splice the amp turn on wire off the factory harness to the amp turn on for the head unit, because there isnt an adapter made for the mach system.

6.) i dont know anything about verts

7.) pointless question to ask since there is any number of things that could be wrong with your ac. it could be as simple as a leaking hose, or as severe as needing to replace the entire ac system. the difference in cost of just those 2 scenarios is night and day.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:15 AM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
Right, I understand that it's old and will rust. This was actually the better looking of the Stangs I looked at. But I want to get rid of this rust so my whole car doesnt rot to hell, so anyone who knows the best way to do so, speak up!

2.) never seen that before. personally if its not cracked where anyone can see it and trunk doesnt leak, i wouldnt worry about it. theres any number of reasons that could have cracked (a car accident, mis-use of the trunk, was taken off a car that was wrecked previously, etc...)

Ok yeah, its not a huge deal, its totally out of sight and it isnt leaking or anything. Maybe I'll just fill in the cracks to prevent anything though.

3.) stock rims are 17x8's on gt's. you'll want 17x9's, possibly with some 17x10.5's in the rear if u want to go through that headache (cant rotate tires easily and tires are more expensive).

Ok thanks, I'd probably go with all 17x9s just for the cheaper tire prices

4.) clutch i can't say because whats normal to you and normal to me are 2 different things, these clutches are cable driven not hydraulic. so if you are used to a hydro clutch, it will feel stiff as hell compared to that. the reverse thing is simple. put the car in first, pull forward just an inch or 2, then it should slide right into reverse. may want to change all fluids to include the tranny and rear end since you have no idea when the last time it was properly serviced. if none of that helps, your synchros may be going bad.

Are the 2000+ Mustangs clutches hydraulic? as the only stick cars I have driven are Mustangs. I am just going to have someone who knows this stuff check out the tranny and clutch, the car is driveable, I just dont want to do any permenant damage. And yes I need to get all the fluids changed and get the car properly serviced as soon as possible

5.) youll be fine with the deck so long as you arent cranking the volume up to the point where sound is distorted. its "a douche" with aftermarket stuff because you have to splice the amp turn on wire off the factory harness to the amp turn on for the head unit, because there isnt an adapter made for the mach system.
Ok thanks, I wanted to be sure because I have read many things about people ruining the Mach system with some ridiculous aftermarket crap. and yeah I can get the receiver to fit in properly, with or without an adapter. Luckily.

6.) i dont know anything about verts

7.) pointless question to ask since there is any number of things that could be wrong with your ac. it could be as simple as a leaking hose, or as severe as needing to replace the entire ac system. the difference in cost of just those 2 scenarios is night and day.
Ok I figured that, I just decided to ask anyways because who knows? maybe there is a common problem with this year's A/C, but I guess not. I'll get that looked at. I dont need A/c anyways. it's a convertible.
Responses in red
Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

nope, they are still cable driven thru 04.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Motors could just be shot for the top not raising/lowering. The rust can be treated with stuff from Rustoleum, and other companies as well. They have a bunch of different products out there doing different things. Some stuff, you spray on to rust, and it literally eliminates the rust from existence...so they say...I'll do some googling here shortly...

Here is a product used to eliminate the rust....

Same product showing it used on a chassis...

Or this, which seems easier and more suited for your application....

Last edited by devongarver; 08-06-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:39 AM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Thanks dudes!
Yeah the clutch is definitely bad, I need either a new cable or a new clutch all together. Then the car will be alot more fun to drive.

And the top is a motor I believe, it's just really weak. Also the hydraulics may be a little stiff so I'll see if I can send the car and get it fixed.

And thanks for those links, I will for sure pick some of that up and get to work on that rust, I can't have my car rust, it annoys me so much.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:17 AM
99SMOKEY

To get the car in reverse easier there are a few things I do with my 99

. You can put the car in reverse before you start it.

. Hold in the clutch for an extended amount of time before putting into reverse.

. And I will also put it into first gear the go straight into reverse.

Hope this helps
Old 08-07-2010, 09:14 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

The vert top i would say the motors may be shot. Everyone else answered your other problems and as far as smokin everyone at your school idk where you go to school but our cars stock arent really that fast...
Old 08-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
It all depends on where you live and where the car is from. My 1997 model has no rust at all (its a Virginian car). I made the mistake of buying a truck from a wholesaler here once; the truck was a 2000 model and was from Ohio. Should have crawled under that thing before I bought it; all kinds of rust under that thing. I cleaned it up as best I could and moved it along within 6 months...
Old 08-07-2010, 11:33 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Yes very true, a Florida car is not going to have rust, where as an IL one will. I am for sure going to get that rust fixed up though, thanks for the links again!

So tomorrow I am getting a clutch cable, see if that fixes the clutch. The clutch itself was replaced somewhat recently, but the cable was not. And i am 90% sure that is what it is, so wish me luck!

Ok so I got Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W-20, is this appropriate oil for my car?

And another question, I want to detail my car by myself pretty much, so I need some good exterior cleaners and interior cleaners to use, and maybe some help with how to clean out the interior.

I have Turtle Wax Wax and Turtle Wax Leather Polish but I need everything else.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 1998 Mustang GT Issues