4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Changed the fuel filter - Service Engine Soon light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Andy_H
1st Gear Member

Default Changed the fuel filter - Service Engine Soon light?

Got the Tune Up DVD from American Muscle last week. Today I changed my air filter on my 2004 Mustang GT. Car was fine. Then I worked for like 2 hours on changing my fuel filter exactly as in the video. I was feeling pretty accomplished and then I realized that the Service Engine Soon light had appeared when I turned on the car. It didn't start the first time either, normally never does that.

I'm almost positive I did everything exactly as they did it in the video but the light came on and it wasn't on before. Any thoughts? Is there anything obvious? I checked for leaks like the video said and I didn't see anything. Thanks
Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy_H
Got the Tune Up DVD from American Muscle last week. Today I changed my air filter on my 2004 Mustang GT. Car was fine. Then I worked for like 2 hours on changing my fuel filter exactly as in the video. I was feeling pretty accomplished and then I realized that the Service Engine Soon light had appeared when I turned on the car. It didn't start the first time either, normally never does that.

I'm almost positive I did everything exactly as they did it in the video but the light came on and it wasn't on before. Any thoughts? Is there anything obvious? I checked for leaks like the video said and I didn't see anything. Thanks
What is the code you are getting? Either you put it in backwards or it isnt totally sealed to the gas line on either end. Should be a really quick fix unless you did something bizarre.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

^^ yup, go get the code read.

Changing the fuel filter is very easy and very quick. I would think it usually wouldn't start the very first time (especially if you depressurized the system) cause you gotta cycle the key a few times before turning the engine over to repressurize the system.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Andy_H
1st Gear Member

How do I see these codes? I've heard about that before but I don't know how you get them.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:32 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

You need a scanner or I think if you have an SCT handheld tuner, it can read codes too.

Or go to your local Autozone, Pepboys, Kragens, or whaever auto shop you guys have down there in Florida and they should be able to help you read the code for free.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:39 AM
rita-mae

it may have detected a mis for the lack of fuel in the line. it has happened to me before
Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

+1 happen to me too, how does the car drive? If it drives fine it will go off on its own. But go to a part store and have them pull the code and make sure.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Andy_H
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone. I checked the flow and it is definitely in there the right direction. I swear I heard the clicks when I connected the lines and there hasn't been any leaks either. So I don't think it is either of those. But I was taking it to a shop Monday or Tuesday anyways to get the tires rotated and a couple other little things looked at, so I'm sure they can check the codes too.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:25 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Try disconnecting your battery for over 5 minutes and then hooking it back up and see if that fixes it.

Might work...
Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 AM
02ROLLER

^^^ Agreed. I just changed my fuel filter a couple of weeks ago and had the exact same problem. I disconnected the battery for 15 min, hooked it up and all was well. Im sure the DVD told you to undo the plug in the trunk then let it run till the car died, so your car wont instantly start b/c it didnt have any fuel in any of the lines from the tank forward. As far as the light, a mechanic told me that I may have just tripped an oil sensor in the engine since my cars *** was jacked up so high and all the oil was moved to the front of the block.

Quick Reply: Changed the fuel filter - Service Engine Soon light?