4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

engine ticking new questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:30 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Default engine ticking new questions

I have been hearing this tick noise ever since I bought the car 4 months ago. Only happens early in the morining or after work so basically when it sits for a long peroid of time. the weird thing is I dont hear it when i first start the car but a few seconds later.

Here is a play by play of how the sounds starts

start the engine and it idles up to 2,000 rpms right away for like a half of a second then idles down to 1,500 or so for about 5 secs

The for some reason it idles up to 1700 for a split second before it drops down to 1100 or so. As soon as it idles up to 1700 to ticking starts. and continues to tick for about the first 2 miles of my drive( which is my dead end road so I drive like 25 mph down it rpms less than 2,000 the whole time and the tick gets fast as the rpms get faster)then it just stops.

Im jut trying to figure out if its the lash adjusters,piston slap,a rod or what

I did a compression test and got 180 across the board and the car runs great gets good gas mileage and pulls hard. I just dont understand why it wouldnt tick as soon as I start it but a full 5 secs or more after it starts.

If it is the lash adjusters will i be ok to keep driving it and how hard is it to replace them.

Also with the hood open you cant really hear it but forsome reason with the hood close you can hear it through the fender wells.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Have you changed the oil?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:38 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Have you changed the oil?
lol yes i changed the oil. That is the first thing I do with a new car is change all fluids whether or not they need it. i put motorcraft 5w-20 in it and ran it for about 2000 miles when i decided to put mobil 1 10w-30 thinking the thicker oil may help but it may be even a little louder now. would changing it to a 0w-30 help? It just bothers me that i dont know forsure what it is. If I knew exactly what it was even if i knew I had to tear into the motor it would give me a little peace of mind so im not worried about what it Could be, if that makes any sense.

I just think its gotta be top end because my oil pressure is good, compression is good and it runs very well.

could it be a timing chain make the sound? The car has about 140,XXX or so miles on it. I would think the a timing chain would last longer than that.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I suspect the HLAs may be getting tired. They tick for one of two reasons, they are worn and collapsing or they are gummed up and sticking. My experience has been that if they take a while to quiet down, as you have described, they are gummed up and sticking.

Unfortunately at 4 months ownership and 140k miles you likely have no idea how the engine was maintained prior to your owning it--one of the magical/mystical engine flush treatments might clean 'em up--however it might also free-up the gunk that's keeping the rings and other things sealed.

'Twas me, at 4 months/140k, I'd maybe play with different oils (dino/synthetic and weights) and see if I could find one that quiets them down--beyond that I would just monitor it and not worry unless it gets worse...
Old 09-14-2010, 08:24 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

I suspect the HLAs may be getting tired. They tick for one of two reasons, they are worn and collapsing or they are gummed up and sticking. My experience has been that if they take a while to quiet down, as you have described, they are gummed up and sticking.

Unfortunately at 4 months ownership and 140k miles you likely have no idea how the engine was maintained prior to your owning it--one of the magical/mystical engine flush treatments might clean 'em up--however it might also free-up the gunk that's keeping the rings and other things sealed.

'Twas me, at 4 months/140k, I'd maybe play with different oils (dino/synthetic and weights) and see if I could find one that quiets them down--beyond that I would just monitor it and not worry unless it gets worse...
Ok thanks a lot cliffyk. Would it be worth it to replace the HLA's or is it more trouble than its worth? does the cam have to come out. I just dont like my car sounding like a diesel when i start it.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:25 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Ok thanks a lot cliffyk. Would it be worth it to replace the HLA's or is it more trouble than its worth? does the cams have to come out. I just dont like my car sounding like a diesel when i start it. well not that loud but you get the idea.

Last edited by 96meangreengt; 09-14-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

it's the tob.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:44 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LS WHAT
it's the tob.
you think? I thought they sqeeked when they go bad. I do get a sqeek sound for the first 5 miles or so everytime I shift. like I will shift into second and let go of the clutch no sound, but as soon as I push the gas down it sqeeks. for a split sec almost sounds like a belt slipping when it gets wet and it does the same thing in everygear untill it gets warmed up. its not loud but with the windows down and radio off you can here it. i guess buying a 14 year old car gets you the rattles and sqeeks ,but thats just part of it lol
Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

sounds like bs but it's true, this is the ticking no one has figured out, not even the dealership's, I had it as well, crank the car, ticking like maybe like a lifter noise, then about 30 seconds later the noise is gone, because it heats up. When my tob was bad I replaced it and noise gone. Our tob's are chit! even the new ones are crap! I no longer have the ticking on first start. I'd bet money the tob is the cause.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Get a mechanics stethoscope, you can get them at most parts stores and Sears always has them in their automotive department or tool department. Isolate the noise before you start spending 30-40 bucks a shot on switching around oils.

Quick Reply: engine ticking new questions