4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Changing Automatic Shifter Knob

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:57 PM
awillquik

Default Changing Automatic Shifter ****

I, like many others, do not particularly like the stock shifter **** that is on my 1996 Mustang GT Convertible (automatic transmission). I want something else, plain and simple. In particular, I'm looking for some sort of black leather shifter.

However, I'm not sure if I would be able to switch to the ones that I want. Here are a few samples of some shift ***** that I would like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

They are both listed as automatic shifters... which has been hard to find, as most of the shifters that I have seen that match what I'm looking for are for manual transmissions.

My question is... are either one of those compatible/would they be able to be installed on my car easily? And how would you go about doing that?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:56 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Cant say for sure, but I am guessing they won't work because of the position of the 'button'. I don't know how it's wired and set up inside the ****, but that is going to be the tricky part.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:53 PM
awillquik

Originally Posted by bopiela
Cant say for sure, but I am guessing they won't work because of the position of the 'button'. I don't know how it's wired and set up inside the ****, but that is going to be the tricky part.
So I could only replace it with one that has a "button" on the side (like my OEM one does)? Hopefully that's not the case... because I don't think there are any of the styles I like that would have that.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Spilotro
2nd Gear Member

There is a bracket for relocating the OD button that UPR sells... here's where the trick is: there are very few ***** available for Mustang auto shifters. I am actually trying to find or fabricate an adapter that would sit on the piece that the spring loaded button pushes, but with a threaded tip to take any **** on the market. They make them for other cars, and I am considering seeing if one fits or if I can make it fit.

I really want just a plain ivory ball!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:04 PM
awillquik

Originally Posted by Spilotro
There is a bracket for relocating the OD button that UPR sells... here's where the trick is: there are very few ***** available for Mustang auto shifters. I am actually trying to find or fabricate an adapter that would sit on the piece that the spring loaded button pushes, but with a threaded tip to take any **** on the market. They make them for other cars, and I am considering seeing if one fits or if I can make it fit.

I really want just a plain ivory ball!
I don't think I need to move the O/D button... I don't want to really change anything except the shift **** itself. Would I need to relocate the O/D button just to change the **** itself?

I guess it is the button on the side of the shift **** that is the thing that makes this hard. Is there any way around that that anyone has found?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:51 PM
awillquik

Apparently the links don't work anymore... so here's some links, and also just a visual of what I want to do:

If those don't work... here are pictures of what I want (both say in the auctions that they are for automatics... the first one is from a Subaru, the second one says it is universal):

Then, here is what I currently have (not my pic, but same car/everything):

Is it possible? Let me know, thanks.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Spilotro
2nd Gear Member

You won't have to relocate the O/D button in your car, but I have to in mine. Not a big deal at all, just something to note on the New Edges.

Changing the **** is no problem once we find things that work. UPR has ***** specifically for Mustangs, but I am trying to make it to where any **** will work.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
awillquik

Originally Posted by Spilotro
You won't have to relocate the O/D button in your car, but I have to in mine. Not a big deal at all, just something to note on the New Edges.

Changing the **** is no problem once we find things that work. UPR has ***** specifically for Mustangs, but I am trying to make it to where any **** will work.
I have checked out the UPR ones for automatics... didn't see anything there that I really liked. Still looking for something like in the above pictures.

Would something like this work?

It has a button on it (or so it appears). Would that be pretty easy to fix up? The button on this one isn't on the side like the stock one is... so what would have to happen for it to work? I guess it all depends on how the push-button mechanism works... but is it possible to make this one WITH a button work?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:44 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

i have a 01 auto gt and I would love to get a new shifter **** too
Old 09-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Spilotro
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
i have a 01 auto gt and I would love to get a new shifter **** too
Care to help with my experiment?

Quick Reply: Changing Automatic Shifter Knob