4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

blowing thick white smoke and misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:31 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

A blown head gasket will smoke all the time no matter what your doing with the gas pedal. A leaking intake would be easy to spot since there would be coolant and would have coolant on plugs 1,4,5,8 and no other.

More then likely you are miss reading the smoke and it is oil smoke from a leaking valve seal. You would only see that smoke at idle and startup.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Depends on "how blown" it is--I have seen head gaskets partially fail and behave sort of like a check valve; then at times a combination of cooling system pressure and high manifold vacuum coolant will be sucked in to the cylinder...

That said, I agree 100% that what the OP is describing could be oil if he has misdiagnosed the problem--though an experienced eye and nose can sort out burning oil from coolant in an instant...
Old 09-25-2010, 10:08 AM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

well thats the odd part, it only smoke sometimes. sometimes it doesnt smoke at all. i dont smell the sweet smell of coolant burning but its white smoke and i see no blue to it at all. it starts missing pretty bad too. at the beginning of all this i had pulled a plug and it seemed to have coolant on it but i was in a hurry so didnt check it out that well and just went and bought new plugs. originally it was just missing and i thought it was just because of the bosch plugs that were in it so i decided to change them and the intake gasket thinking it was that. then i did intake manifold because it was still doing it. i think i may have seen coolant in my throttle body too so im wondering if its somehow blowing thru my pvc hose into my intake tube. i did diconnect that hose and it was puffing smoke right out of the valve cover which is a little scary like it blow by but i think its something less serious. could it have anything to do with over fueling like a stuck injector? im thinking like a deisel engine right now but is it a possibility that it is an injector sticking open and pouring too much fuel and loading up? when i get on the accelerator it clear up. reminds me of my old carbed stangs when i jetted too big and they were loading up
Old 09-26-2010, 09:02 AM
jasons_98gt

back when my old plastic intake cracked i was blowing out streams of white smoke.
What happened was the intake warped between the first coolant port and intake port right near the thermostat and was sucking it down the number 5 intake valve.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 PM
matthewcaswell92

can anybody help me? my mustang missfires when first started and spits white smoke out the exhaust and the coolant almost like evaporates but theres no coolant in my oil or oil in coolant or anything like that....then today i first started it, took it for a drive and once it got around 40mph into fifth gear it almost wanted to stall but wouldnt and it hesitated.