4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 06:01 PM
josh_0351
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: lowering springs

ORIGINAL: fastsilverstang

ORIGINAL: josh_0351

ORIGINAL: fastsilverstang

What springs do you recommend getting if I am looking for a 2' drop and what shocks would be good too? Do they make lowering kits with everything you need?
I just did the Eibach Pro Kit ($230 shipped from: http://optionimports.com/3510-14a.html) and did not replace the shocks (but probably will anyway here before long). The Pro-Kit gives a nice drop without slamming it. I still occasionally scrape my X-pipe on tall speed bumps and whatnot, so if avoidable and a daily-driver, I would not recommend going much lower than that.

Good luck!
how much of a drop do you have?
Bout 1.5" - 2"
Old 08-15-2005, 08:47 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

...but remember, if you go any lower than 1.5" then you will need CC plates and I can vouch that a car dropped 2" or more is HARD to keep aligned. I have Ford Racing CC plates and I have had to have my car aligned three times since Ive owned it and it still needs another. Just some food for thought.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:39 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Besides H&R, DropZone offers a 2" drop with a variable rate spring, so you keep a decent ride quality. You will have to do one (or more) of the following:

C&C plates

Bumpsteer kit

Offset rack bushings (recommend aluminum with index feature)

All of these items correct steering geometry of your car, otherwise you start wearing the inside of your tires badly and your frontend will jump around when you hit any bumps (i.e. bumpsteer). I'm going with the offsets myself. I recommend the plates or offsets before the bumpsteer kit. You can add bumpsteer later or even do all three. You stock shocks and struts will still work if you don't want to replace them right now.

Springs - http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/d...ings/spsp2100/

Offset rack bushings - http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=2003

C&C and bumpsteer are available from Steeda and others.

jdaniel, have you looked into the offsets?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:55 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

I ahvent yet but I think im gonna do them and the bumpsteer kit. I have been meaning to look into them, but I just havent had the time.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:12 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

$40 and an hour. I'm installing my springs and offsets on the 27th. If you want to wait, I'll let you know how it went.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:50 PM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

i have a 2.5 inch drop and do not have cc plates and have never had it aligned so i guess either it wasnt done right or something.. i have had the new springs on for about 8 months now.. [&:]
Old 08-15-2005, 11:35 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 01GTType

i have a 2.5 inch drop and do not have cc plates and have never had it aligned so i guess either it wasnt done right or something.. i have had the new springs on for about 8 months now.. [&:]

You may wanna take a look at the insides of your tires.

I bet if you look at them from the front, your tires look like this...

/-----\ LOL
Old 08-15-2005, 11:36 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Couldn't hurt to check the inside edges of your front tires for excessive wear. If you're not sure you can tell, place a stripe of 2 or 3 inch wide tape across the surface of the tire. Color it with a permanent marker. Drive normal (like a sane person) without any hard cornering! for 20 or so miles. Hopefully, the tape is still on at this point. Check to see if the marker is worn off or worse, the tape.

Need good sticky tape for this. Duct tape works, I think.

If you see the wear, well, you know what that means.

No, I have not tried this. It only just occured to me. I'll try it when I lower my car. If anyone tries this before me, let me know if it worked.

jdaniel, think this will work???
Old 08-16-2005, 12:05 AM
josh_0351
3rd Gear Member

MAN, I don’t know how some of you Cats get away with dropping it much beyond the Pro Kit’s 1.5’ish, and still get around without bottoming out. I was hauling **** in 2nd through the parking lot @ Super Target a few weeks back and at the bottom where there is a slight dip, sure enough, I scraped. [:'(] I’m VERY cautious now whenever approaching dips or humps in the road…
Old 08-16-2005, 03:50 AM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

no i had just had them taken off about two weeks ago at les schwab to see because of that reason and they let me go out in the shop and show me them, mainly because i told them i wanted to see them but they have even wear all the across.. my girlfriends car is a different story she has a 04 corolla s and i lowered it the day after mine, hers is a 2.4 inch in front and 2.3 inch in the rear and she is on her second set of tires due to the inside tire wear.. the funny thing is, is when i went in to les schwab -where i bought her tires from the first time- i acted like they were bad tires so they told me they would pay for them and just take the difference off a better pair so i ended up paying 65. out the door for two new goodyears on the front.. guess its just if you get lucky when you lower a car..

Quick Reply: lowering springs