4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cable conversion to hydraulic clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:25 AM
sportsguy0502

Default cable conversion to hydraulic clutch

I was wonder if it was possible to convert my cable clutch to a hydraulic. If so, can you tell what i would need because i do not have the most experience with clutchs. Thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 12:44 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

im not sure if its been done before or if its worth the effort. im curious to hear what others have to say.

personally, i love the weight and simplicity of the cable system.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have seen conversion kits in the past, don't see any right now--however as "945L" said, other than complexity it adds nothing.

The clutch lever requires "X" amount of force to move "Y" distance, or "XY" amount of work, to disengage the clutch--for any given pressure plate/spring (clamping force) and throwout lever combination this is a fixed amount of work.

So, it will take "XY" amount of work at the clutch pedal (plus an amount to account for the control mechanism's inefficiencies) to disengage the clutch. A hydraulic system may (might, maybe) have a slight efficiency edge over the cable--however assuming the cable is properly lubricated and the sleeve (and cable) not damaged that gain would be very small.

Many assume, because the hydraulic clutches typically used on imports require less pedal pressure to operate, that there is some magical property to the hydraulic control system that reduces the required force. This is simply not so, these cars have "softer" clutches because the clutches themselves have much lower torque ratings, and much lower clamping forces, and therefore much lower actuating forces.

[edit]
There are hydraulic "throw out bearings" that can reduce pedal force, however that's a whole different ball-game...
[/edit]

Last edited by cliffyk; 10-26-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 PM
sportsguy0502

Well you kind of answered my question, saying that a hydraulic clutch wont make it easier, and thats the reason i want it for, you have anymore suggestions other then the throw out bearings?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:49 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

you can get an aftermarket clutch, a new TOB and pilot bearing, quadrant, and a new cable. i replaced all the above (centerforce clutch) and its so much nicer than stock. its not going to make your clutch "import light" but it is better feeling.

the easiest solution is to get into the gym and do some leg and calf exercises and be a man :-P. jk

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 10-26-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by sportsguy0502
Well you kind of answered my question, saying that a hydraulic clutch wont make it easier, and thats the reason i want it for, you have anymore suggestions other then the throw out bearings?
Within the limits of the design envelope there are some things an engineer can do to affect pedal pressure, the most significant being the position of the Belleville spring fulcrum. This is not a specification that clutch makers make available, however it does have the most impact on actuation force.

Your best bet if you are replacing the clutch is to ask around, however the OEM clutch (again assuming the cable is not damaged) probably has the lightest action of any you will find.

What other manual transmission cars have you driven? If a V8 muscle car is not on the list then you just need to get used to it. I recently installed a RAM HDX clutch (claimed to have 40% more clamping force than stock) and would guesstimate that the pedal pressure is easily 20% to 25% higher than was the stock clutch--I noticed it immediately.

However within a couple of weeks I grew accustomed to it and don't even notice it any longer; my wife however comments (I'm putting it nicely here) on it each time she drives my car...
Old 10-26-2010, 03:58 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
you can get an aftermarket clutch, a new TOB and pilot bearing, quadrant, and a new cable. i replaced all the above (centerforce clutch) and its so much nicer than stock. its not going to make your clutch "import light" but it is better feeling.<snip>
An after market quadrant will greatly improve the feel, making it much more positive than is possible with the stock monkey-motion plastic assembly.

Although the total amount of work remains the same, that the after market quadrant does not flex, and thus store/then release pedal pressure, the overall feel is that less effort is required.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I dont see $600 worth it, plus you may have to do fab work on top of it.

http://www.americanpowertrain.com/ca...product=701491
Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Warrior1876
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Cliff. I actuall had mine converted to a hydraulic clutch and am thinking about changing it back. I had my stang converted from a auto to a manual. I was never happy with the clutch pressure. When converting it did get easier but the travel is much greater. I really dont like it. I did some research on the upr site and they have a quardrant that claims to make the clutch 20% lighter. I would try that first and any of the other ideas cliff has. I still feel there may be a problem with mine because i have the same centerforce clutch as my brother and his pedal even before the conversion was much ligther then mine. I dont know if it has anything to do with the pedal swap but its been very fustrating. I would not recommend the conversion being someone who actually did it.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:11 PM
sportsguy0502

So the list of V8 i driven is one other, and its a ford ranger, with a small block in it, and it is 10% lighter then mine, but then my brother has a SVT focus, with hydro clutch in it, and it is so nice. Is that considered import?

Quick Reply: cable conversion to hydraulic clutch