4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

switching from procharger to turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 AM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Default switching from procharger to turbo

I checked up on the search button but couldn't really find anything specific to what I was looking for. I was thinking about converting from the procharger p-1sc kit that I have now to something like a Hellion single/twin turbo system. Does anyone know how this is done? How much does it cost? This will be done after I build my block of course so I want to start with knowledge obtainment now so I can make an informed decision. I've always wanted a turbo and after I build my block I know it's more possible than ever. I have an 03 GT.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

uhh....

how is it done? you uninstall your supercharger and install the turbo. that part is not rocket science.

how much does it cost? depends. at the minimum your looking at the cost of the turbo, plus tubular front end, plus a dyno tune. if your having a shop install the k member turbo and everything else (which i assume you are since you had to ask), i would expect atleast a grand for that kind of labor to be done. so at that point its the turbo kit + a grand or more for labor + 500$ for dyno tuning.

now there can be additional costs too. depending on what kind of fuel setup you have now and how much HP your going to want to run, you may have to further upgrade your fuel system to be able to run the numbers your looking for.

your questions are very bland to say the least.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

How many PSI are you wanting to run? Or whats your HP goals?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:16 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

A cheap kit like on3 performance can be done for around 3k. Hellion 5k plus.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:05 AM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
uhh....

how is it done? you uninstall your supercharger and install the turbo. that part is not rocket science.

how much does it cost? depends. at the minimum your looking at the cost of the turbo, plus tubular front end, plus a dyno tune. if your having a shop install the k member turbo and everything else (which i assume you are since you had to ask), i would expect atleast a grand for that kind of labor to be done. so at that point its the turbo kit + a grand or more for labor + 500$ for dyno tuning.

now there can be additional costs too. depending on what kind of fuel setup you have now and how much HP your going to want to run, you may have to further upgrade your fuel system to be able to run the numbers your looking for.

your questions are very bland to say the least.
My thing was since I already have the plumbing for the turbo and a 3 row intercooler would it save me some money since I already have that plumbing done? Basically can some of it be used for the turbo/twin turbo? I'm completely new to this idea. I'm aiming for 600-700HP. I already know I'm going to need a fuel system and suspension afterward but I need to make the power first before I figure out how to put it down.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

if your talking about using your procharger piping for the turbo you got a LOT of custom fabricating ahead of you.

and the reason i said suspension was you don't have a choice unless you custom fabricate something that doesnt require a tubular k member (and good luck doing that). there isn't any "doing it afterward"
Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kongdong
My thing was since I already have the plumbing for the turbo and a 3 row intercooler would it save me some money since I already have that plumbing done?
you already have turbo plumbing?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:02 AM
ItalianStallionGTR

Why not just swap the pullies and run more boost on the procharger?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ItalianStallionGTR
Why not just swap the pullies and run more boost on the procharger?
y in the hell would you want a lil 4.6 with the amazing cars you have already??? wow impresive. and good question btw

ps. just saw PREVIOUS RIDES my bad
Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 AM
ItalianStallionGTR

Originally Posted by Dteal23
y in the hell would you want a lil 4.6 with the amazing cars you have already??? wow impresive. and good question btw
Lol my girlfriend wanted a badass car, plus I'll be driving it myself...and you can't beat the sound of a mustang's V8

Quick Reply: switching from procharger to turbo