4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Leaking gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:35 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
The lack of friction modifier won't affect the gears, it affects the clutch packs in the differential. The gasket is not the problem with the leak considering its leaking from the load cap bolts in the center of the cover. Permatex makes a tube of thread sealer which will be farm more effective than using any type of teflon tape on those threads. Its called Permatex Thread sealer and its in a white tube should be next to all the other RTVs at the auto store.
I stand corrected.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

At the risk of being once again chastised for providing background info--friction modifier is an additive to make the oil more "slippery" by reducing the surface friction of mating components.

In our LSDs it keep the clutch plates from binding, and popping and chattering. Years ago we used less or none as a cheap way of making clutch type LSDs lock up better--at the expense of friction plate wear...
Old 11-03-2010, 04:44 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilvrStang
RTV FTMFW!! If its leaking from the back cover bolts ur being generous with RTV LOL DONT !
+1 the shop tht did my gears said they never use the gaskets that come in the kits cause they always leak. They always just put a lot of rtv on.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:47 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

my rear end is sealed better now by myself then it was by the last shop that touched it.

all I used was rtv.... no gasket at all.

I stand by my original statement though. If it is leaking through the bolts then you are not making your seal correct. Gear oil should never make it that far out of the differential.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:34 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I stand by my original statement though. If it is leaking through the bolts then you are not making your seal correct. Gear oil should never make it that far out of the differential.
Niner you and a few others are getting confused on which bolts he is talking about, heres is a picture of the load bolts hes talking about they are no where near the gasket or the mating surfance to the rear end housing. I would use RTV thread sealant on the threads of those load bolts and you should be fine.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Niner you and a few others are getting confused on which bolts he is talking about, heres is a picture of the load bolts hes talking about they are no where near the gasket or the mating surfance to the rear end housing. I would use RTV thread sealant on the threads of those load bolts and you should be fine.
Good job, that photo is certainly one of those worth 1000 words.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

oh haha i was confused as well than. What do those bolts even do just curious?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 98redstang
oh haha i was confused as well than. What do those bolts even do just curious?
They apply load to the differential carrier bearing caps, which can be a weak link when you really start pushing an 8.8" rear end--either with a bunch or power, and/or because of very high (numerically high) ring and pinion ratios.

This "makes" the heavy duty cover part of the carrier support/housing assembly, not just a cover to keep the oil in...
Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

^+1 I didnt realize he was talking about the load bolts at first. I would just RTV them with their thread sealer and it should work just fine.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:08 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

They apply load to the differential carrier bearing caps, which can be a weak link when you really start pushing an 8.8" rear end--either with a bunch or power, and/or because of very high (numerically high) ring and pinion ratios.

This "makes" the heavy duty cover part of the carrier support/housing assembly, not just a cover to keep the oil in...
+1000

Quick Reply: Leaking gear oil