4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Possible new '00 GT owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 01:58 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Default Possible new '00 GT owner

I'm looking at this '00 GT with 46k miles for $10,400. It has a light tan leather interior, and silver exterior. ABSOLUTELY spotless paint, and the interior is showroom condition. The only mods on the car are Magnaflow cat-back and the 18" saleen wheels.

Why so cheap? Well he has it at a lower price because the driver's front wheel lost a fight with a pothole and there is about a 2.5" long section of the lip of the rim missing, just broke off. Not the area where the bead of the tire sits, but the lip of the rim that sticks straight out. It's sad because they're such nice rims, but I'd get it repaired or replaced. Plus, it needs tires. There are some crappy Kumho's on it right now that are 3/4 way through their life.

But, i drove it last night for about a half hour. It's the 1st MGT I've ever driven. I absolutely loved it. The exhaust sounds FANTASTIC, I was getting all kinds of looks. The car mechanically runs and drives perfect, there is a bit of a pull in the wheel but I suspect it's from the damage from the pothole. There are no rattles or noises of any kind and I was driving it on some pretty bad roads for part of my little joy ride. It also has the Mach stereo system in it, I hate the Ford factory deck but it sounds pretty good.

If I buy it, it might be this weekend that I pick it up. I got a pretty damn low insurance quote from State Farm where I have my current car insured so I was happy about that. Is that a good price? What are common problems with this car?

Will
Old 08-18-2005, 02:08 PM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Possible new '00 GT owner

sounds like a alright deal.. i would check into that pull though because if you do buy it and find out its not the rim and something else you might be forking out alot more money then you planned to plus you have to buy the new rim on top of that. what kind of a quote did you get from state farm, i have that some ins. company and pay 100. a month for the highest insurance they have but im 32.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:03 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Yea, I think the pull could be from the HORRIBLE tires it had on combined with the bad hit it took that hurt the rim. It's not bad at all, I just had to keep it turn a little to the right, I wasn't worried about it. If it's a tie rod or something, I can do it myself.

My insurance quote was $95/month and I'm 25, no accidents and I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 18 months. I'm happy with that quote! I was expecting $150/month. Thanks for replying.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:08 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

the price doesn't seem that great. Worn tires and a chipped rim sounds like an easy grand you will have to put into it right away. You should get that steering issue worked out before you buy
Old 08-18-2005, 04:13 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

$10,400 for that car with the condition, the rims/tires don't bother me. Even if I do dump a grand into tires and that rim, I'm still ahead. MGT's don't go for really cheap up here, this car bone stock with the same miles is usually $12,500+ minimum. With the $500 exhaust and $800 wheels already on it, I'd say it's a deal. There are some other mustangs around for a similar price, but with more miles and they're a good day's drive away (southern PA, NJ, OH). This mustang is 6 blocks from where I work (Kodak in Rochester).
Old 08-18-2005, 05:28 PM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FWP!

$10,400 for that car with the condition, the rims/tires don't bother me. Even if I do dump a grand into tires and that rim, I'm still ahead. MGT's don't go for really cheap up here, this car bone stock with the same miles is usually $12,500+ minimum. With the $500 exhaust and $800 wheels already on it, I'd say it's a deal. There are some other mustangs around for a similar price, but with more miles and they're a good day's drive away (southern PA, NJ, OH). This mustang is 6 blocks from where I work (Kodak in Rochester).
That's a pretty good price, but I would still try to get the guy to come down a little bit to compensate for the problems that you will have to address if you purchase it. Good luck!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:51 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

[sm=exactly.gif] I always bargain I'll probably get it below $10k before I buy it, heh.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:28 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FWP!

I'm looking at this '00 GT with 46k miles for $10,400. It has a light tan leather interior, and silver exterior. ABSOLUTELY spotless paint, and the interior is showroom condition. The only mods on the car are Magnaflow cat-back and the 18" saleen wheels.

Why so cheap? Well he has it at a lower price because the driver's front wheel lost a fight with a pothole and there is about a 2.5" long section of the lip of the rim missing, just broke off. Not the area where the bead of the tire sits, but the lip of the rim that sticks straight out. It's sad because they're such nice rims, but I'd get it repaired or replaced. Plus, it needs tires. There are some crappy Kumho's on it right now that are 3/4 way through their life.

But, i drove it last night for about a half hour. It's the 1st MGT I've ever driven. I absolutely loved it. The exhaust sounds FANTASTIC, I was getting all kinds of looks. The car mechanically runs and drives perfect, there is a bit of a pull in the wheel but I suspect it's from the damage from the pothole. There are no rattles or noises of any kind and I was driving it on some pretty bad roads for part of my little joy ride. It also has the Mach stereo system in it, I hate the Ford factory deck but it sounds pretty good.

If I buy it, it might be this weekend that I pick it up. I got a pretty damn low insurance quote from State Farm where I have my current car insured so I was happy about that. Is that a good price? What are common problems with this car?

Will
Whatever you do, just don't powershift that dammed T-45 trans. It isn't worth the tenth or two you might pick up, and I am on tranny 3 now (finnaly just went all out with the TKO 500).
Old 08-18-2005, 06:53 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Lol, thanks for the advice. I don't ever powershift any car, and I don't plan to. I'm not into driving really fast all the time, this GT will be babied as far as I'm concerned. I want to keep it for a long time. I probably won't do many mods to it besides a cobra front bumper and Eibachs, maybe a CAI and IM. I like MGT's just the way they are.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Yeah, that's what a lot of us say. Then you get used to the power. It's all starts from there...

Quick Reply: Possible new '00 GT owner