4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New IAC Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:44 AM
wylegt

Default New IAC Install

I have a 2000 GT 5spd with about 95K and recently had to replace the IAC. The valve was sticking and the car wasn't starting. I've now replaced the IAC and the IAC motor runs during shifts and a lot times when the car is crusing. The IAC motor is very loud when it runs and also causes the idle to drop below 500rpms like it wants to die. Is there something I forgot to do like maybe reset the battery or is the computer learning that there is a new IAC? The car is starting with no problems right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's only "sort of" a motor, so I am confused as to what you are hearing.

The IAC is a plunger type solenoid valve, in which the opening of the plunger is controlled by a variable duty cycle square wave signal from the PCM. It looks like this inside:

Technically is is a motor, but not in the common use of the term.

When the centering vanes wear they will often vibrate, and with the vibrations being amplified by the intake tubing it can sound like a goose honking, a trombone, and/or other horn type sound--is that what you are hearing?

If so, was the replace IAC new? If not you need a brand shiny new one, if so it's defective bring it back--it should not honk or make any other noise.

Also--yes, you should disconnect the battery for 5-7 minutes to reset the KAM; this will force the PCM to learn the new idle air trim values.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

The "IAC" idle air control valve is simple to replace and only takes five
to ten minutes to replace it.I highly recommend only using Ford Motorcraft
IAC valves for your mustang.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:39 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

+1 Cliffy, I have no idea what you are hearing that is "running" IAC is pretty much a valve. Is it you're electric fan or something kicking on that you are hearing. The drop in RPM may be a faulty TPS sensor. First thing is the check engine light on???

Last edited by uberstang1; 11-23-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:44 AM
wylegt

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It's only "sort of" a motor, so I am confused as to what you are hearing.

The IAC is a plunger type solenoid valve, in which the opening of the plunger is controlled by a variable duty cycle square wave signal from the PCM. It looks like this inside:

Technically is is a motor, but not in the common use of the term.

When the centering vanes wear they will often vibrate, and with the vibrations being amplified by the intake tubing it can sound like a goose honking, a trombone, and/or other horn type sound--is that what you are hearing?

If so, was the replace IAC new? If not you need a brand shiny new one, if so it's defective bring it back--it should not honk or make any other noise.

Also--yes, you should disconnect the battery for 5-7 minutes to reset the KAM; this will force the PCM to learn the new idle air trim values.
I got the IAC from autozone for $50. It looks like remanned IAC valve to me. Unfortunately, I cannot return it.

The noise, now that you mention it does sound like a goose honking. Hopefully unhooking the battery will curb the noise. Guess i could always work on cleaning out the old one.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:46 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Ford claims that the IAC is not "cleanable" and should be replaced if malfunctioning. I have sprayed mine out with carb cleaning and it cleared up for a few weeks then it was back to problems.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by wylegt
I got the IAC from autozone for $50. It looks like remanned IAC valve to me. Unfortunately, I cannot return it.

The noise, now that you mention it does sound like a goose honking. Hopefully unhooking the battery will curb the noise. Guess i could always work on cleaning out the old one.
There is nothing inherently wrong with buying one from AZ or any FLAPS, and they are not something that can be re-manufactured--they are new, made by OEM suppliers.

It has a 2 year warranty, so if it is the IAC making the noise bring it back and get another...

-------------------------------------------------------
I have been running a Duralast IAC for nearly 2 years and 40k+ miles with no problems.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:13 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

i will say 99% of the stuff from autozone is warrantied for atleast a year, **** i screwed up putting on window tint and returned that to advanced auto for under warrenty because the second batch was damaged so i said the hell with it...they will take back anything.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:23 PM
wylegt

We'll i'm off to a different autozone in about 45 minutes to possibly exchange the one I got with a new one. The one I bought was on the car for about 2-3 days so it still looks like it hasn't been used.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 PM
stangladesh

Take it back. I shy away from autozone when it comes to parts. I go to Advance, OReilly's or Napa. Did you get a gasket with it?

Quick Reply: New IAC Install