4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Steering problem, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:45 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default Steering problem, please help!

I have a 2003 GT. I have brought it to three different dealerships, I have gotten an alignment twice. But still the problem persists. The problem is, my car will drive straight sometimes but other times it feels as if the wheels are in a rut and being pulled to the right. Its really weird and annoying. I know theres road crown, but its very strong sometimes. And it does it on smooth roads so its not the tires getting caught in a groove.

What could be the cause of this? Could there be excessive play in the rack and pinion? Or mabye one of the outer tie rods are getting bound up and sticking sometimes?? I know the frame must be straight since it doesnt do it all the time, I hope atleast.

Any help I would appreciate it greatly!!!

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:51 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Steering problem, please help!

Are you on lowering srings? Mustangs have a bad problem with bump steer. That means the car tends to follow the groves in the road and makes it a little harder to steer. Here is the kit you need to fix this problem...

Bump steer kit

... lowered or not, this will solve your problem.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I did install Eibach pro-kit springs, but my car acted the same way with the stock springs in too. But thank you for the advice, I will get it and see what happens. I am almost to the point of replacing everything in the steering all tie rods and rack. So that will be a cheap resolution if it works!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:30 AM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

I agree with Jd, and would start there. If that does not fix the problem I would start with some offset rack bushings and then maybe the Steeda X2 ball joints. I would replace the rack as a last option after everything else has been tried. Do you have caster/camber plates?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

No I dont have caster camber plates. I heard that using the eibach pro-kit, I didnt have too. Only if I went with sportline springs then I would.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:46 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

Well as you go through replaceing the cheeper parts to see if you can find what is wrong that is another part that will be cheeper that replaceing your enitre steering rack. Hopefully your can get this problem fixed far before you have to replace toe rack unit.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

94-04 Mustangs are notorious for having the problem you're talking about, either of the solutions mentioned up top (the bump steer kit or camber/caster plates) should address it.

The problem is that the Mustangs struts are plumb to the A-arm and ground (Caster) instead of being slightly offset or tilted. While this helps in cornering, it doesn't help in the car tracking straight on uneven ground.

http://www.alltiresupply.com/archive...alignment.html

Out of curiosity, has the car ever been in a front end collision or t-boned?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:21 PM
cobracharmer

you need a four wheel computerized alignment
only.
It's the one thing I have done by the dealer.Everything else i do.
Apart from component wear, the only items
i would check are the tie rods in front and those adjustable links in the
rear.
There's really no reason they should move once set correctly.
The struts are an integral part of the suspension geometry, so unless
they wear, or the ball joints wear, alignment should stay good.
Last time I noticed a very slight amount of drift something like 30,000
miles or more after an alignment, I paid something like $80 basically
for nothing.
The before and after printouts were essentially the same.
In my experience slight variations in the tire sidewalls are more
likely to cause a slight drift than alignment, have you hit anything or drive in foul weather? I have a friend who lives in MA, and he said that in the winter he spins the tires..sometimes hitting curbs..could knock it out of wack. Who knows, good luck. Maybe you should have your girl pose on the other side..[sm=alcoholic.gif]
Old 08-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I have never been in an accident, but I bought the car with 17,000 miles on it so who knows. I have rotated the tires already and it still did it. I am still using stock shocks with the eibach pro-kit springs. I will get the bumpsteer kit and some adjustable shocks and some sportline springs and caster camber plates. Then get a 4 wheel alignment. Just so I have to do the alignment only once.

I thought the rear couldnt be adjusted? I have a solid rear axle.

Also mabye I have only gotten two wheel alignment, but I thought that they always put those sensors on all the wheels when they do an alignment, mabye not. Mabye I will just get a 4 wheel alignment tomorrow for the hell of it and see if it solves it.