4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Replace IAC and EGR and still dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
chouston86

Exclamation Replace IAC and EGR and still dies

My name is Chris I have a 2000 mustang Gt I'm on here everyday just reading and picking up tips and tech advice from all the Gurus on here, but I have a problem.

My car dies at idle some times and when cruising to a stop at a redlight. I know my car so well that I can tell when its about to cut off and I catch in time but it gets aggrivating . So I've read on here that the problem is related to the IAC, EGR valve. I have replaced both and I even took of the DPFE sensor and blew in it to try and see if that would help, but to no avail still dies. What else could it be? I have searched all over

I have recently done a tune up which consists of.
All new spark plugs,Fuel filter,Full synthetic oil change Mobil 5w-30

Mods are CAI,Off road H pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, and Diablo predator 93 tune.

Thank you guys for your help.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:22 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

could try opening the throttlebody stop a hair and see if that does anything. my buddy had a car that did that too (except his was worse from sounds of yours) and it turned out to be his intake temp sensor.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

+1 open up the tb a hair and check your rpms at idle
Old 12-08-2010, 03:35 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

As others have said the issue may very well be that the throttle stop has worn and the butterfly is closing too tightly--here is the proper procedure for setting the throttle stop screw.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 PM
chouston86

Originally Posted by cliffyk
As others have said the issue may very well be that the throttle stop has worn and the butterfly is closing too tightly--here is the http://proper procedure for setting ...tle stop screw.
I forgot to mention that I installed a brand new 75mm trick flow throttle body and I had to drill the hole bigger on where the throttle cable slides into as well cause the hole was too small. So ima try that and see what I get.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:33 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

if you installed a new TB thats why, your throttle stop needs to be adjusted...read cliffys link. when i installed mine my car wouldnt hold idle until i adjusted it.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:56 PM
chouston86

Ok Im go in the garage and adjust it. Thank you guys for all of your help....

This is the best forum I have ever been on.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:22 PM
deviousgt

Im having a similar problem also with my 2000 gt, but mine doesnt die the idle just drops then shoots back up to about 2000 rpms then back down and stays at 1100 rpms. It does this randomly and also does it when i first turn on my car and put it into gear almost every time. I did replace the IAC but no change. (i have the stock tb). I recently started having another problem. Theres a loud noise coming from my air filter. It just started this weekend and i just cleaned the K&N filter two weekends ago and the more i accelerate the louder it gets and sometimes at idle i hear it sometimes i dont. Could this be caused by the air filter not drying properly?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 PM
chouston86

Well my idle fluctuates too expecially at idle with the heat on. Its very random its just annoying. I went ahead and adjusted the throttlebody I bumped it up a hair around 800 or so hopefully that does the trick.

On your air filter. How dirty was it? If it was filthy that might be the air rushing into your engine your hearing they are louder than stock intakes so its common.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 PM
deviousgt

I was told its usually the IAC but it didnt help i havent tried the EGR valve though, does that control the idle also?

No, it wasnt to dirty just thought i'd give it a clean. I've had the filter for about 3 years and its never givin me any problems even after cleaning. I was thinking maybe all the water didnt dry completely when i cleaned it but its not to logical. I had a mechanic stop by and he said it might be a dirty MAF sensor but he didnt sound to confident about it and i dont think the sensor would cause a loud a noise.

Quick Reply: Replace IAC and EGR and still dies