4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rear end noise. After the MM LCA's, it's gotten...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Default Rear end noise. After the MM LCA's, it's gotten...

Well gentelmen installed the LCA'S today and it has most def helped my straight line take off. Now to the problem. My rear end has always made a little noise and it only happens when I'm on the gas or getting off the clutch. Now that I've put the LCA's, the sound that I've heard coming out of my rear end has gotten realllllllly loud. Any ideas of what it could be? Thxs and as always any help would be appreciated..
Old 12-08-2010, 08:26 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Which ones did you get? the HD's or the XD's?

I have the XD LCA's and I didn't notice any added noise at all...except a small creaky noise when I am slowly making a sharp turn into my garage that sounds like bushing bind...not even sure if it is from the LCA's.

What kind of noise is it? If you were previously getting it only when you were on the gas or working the clutch, I don't really see how it can be from the LCA's
Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Fox466
1st Gear Member

How many miles are on that rear end, and what is the fluid level like? Any leaks or have you added a cover?

My guess is bearing noise that is being telegraphed by the much more solid LCAs. Were it gears it would make noise at all times, wouldn't it? How long ago were the gears done?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I have the Extreme Duty LCA's. Like I said before, the sound was always there but not as noticeable but after the LCA install it's amplified by 10. It sounds like something in the rear end is loose and vibrating. I'm gonna take it to the the Ford dealership on Friday and get it lookded at. I'm pissed because I finally installed the BAP and was going to spend the money to get redynoed so that I can get my numbers up. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fox466
How many miles are on that rear end, and what is the fluid level like? Any leaks or have you added a cover?

My guess is bearing noise that is being telegraphed by the much more solid LCAs. Were it gears it would make noise at all times, wouldn't it? How long ago were the gears done?

I've done some research and that's pretty much what I've been reading. The car has 70,000 miles on it and as far as the fluid level I don't know. I installed the 410's about 18 mths ago. Thxs for the info man, much appreciated...
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Fox466
1st Gear Member

Dependant on which bearings it is, if it is, you could be wasting money. If it's the outers you can get them pretty easily if you're a three out of ten in mechanical competence with two hours and $30 spent. Bearings at the gears are definitely a bit more entailed and probably better left to the Ford house so that they can check lash at the same time.

That last sentence would fix it regardless, as there are only a set number of causes for that noise...

PS: Like the car!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:18 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

When you install controls arms with solid ends or poly bushings there will always be an increase in NVH.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ werd!

Everything you are describing sounds 100% normal for a double-spherical bushed LCA Certainly some issues that Fox has mentioned are relevant and may indeed help, but NVH is to be expected via suspension mods.

Don't worry, you will get used to it. If you DON'T.... take a spin in my ride and you will think your car has become a Cadillac!

Jazzer
Old 12-09-2010, 04:14 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Its definitely the arms just amplifying a sound that was already there. The slight noise you had before is not being isolated anymore by the soft bushings like it was before.

With 70,000 miles you probably have some bearing wear starting to show up in the rear end. Nothing to be alarmed about, it just sounds worse than it is.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Well gentelmen problem solved. I took the car to the local Ford Dealership and when they went into the rear end it was a mess. The mechanic who installed my gears evidently didn't do a good job. In all I had to spend $954.00 to get the problem fixed. Right now I am very happy. No more sound and the LCA's are awesome. Thxs for the input fellows..

Quick Reply: Rear end noise. After the MM LCA's, it's gotten...