4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

car is to low?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

I was just gonna give them to him. All he would have to do is cover shipping. Ive tried selling them for quite some time. Id rather give them away then throw them away
Old 12-12-2010, 05:31 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

That car is NOT too low.. It sits perfect where it's at right now...

If you have adjustable dampers that start with an A, i'm sure they are the KYB AGX adjustables... But i'm not 100% on that...

Get the correct tire size and polyurethane isolators... You'll have much more wheel gap and it should raise the car up another 1/2"... These cars only look good when lowered so if you raise it up, be prepared to hate it

My car scrapes the fender wells also... It's not going to harm anything...
Old 12-13-2010, 06:05 AM
lotokids

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
I was just gonna give them to him. All he would have to do is cover shipping. Ive tried selling them for quite some time. Id rather give them away then throw them away

Very interested. Please let me know how much it would be to ship them to Monroe, Michigan, 48161
Old 12-13-2010, 06:12 AM
lotokids

Thanks for all the advice. Just FYI. My mods will be very slow being done. Due to the fact that I have 8 kids (lot-o-kids probably makes sence now lol). So when someone says give or free just pay the shipping to fix an issue I have I will jump on it. Thanks again for all the advice. With my experiance in suspention I would have probably just put spacers in the springs and ccalled it good
Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

If you went with stock springs and cut them you would be happy. Cheap, easy and would be a good fix. Most are not happy with cutting springs but being linerar rate (stock ones) you can. That combined with the correct tire sizes would be a good solution.

NO one likes the stock springs due to the fact they make the car look like a 4X4. But cutting 1 coil off would please you I would think. If not cut another 1/2 coil off.

EDIT: The only reason I suggest cutting stock springs is due to his financial situation. If money is an issue and you are being offered stock springs for the cost of shipping...that would be least expensive.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

Cut springs are ghetto and result in crap handling. People who say they handle fine only say that because they aren't experienced enough drivers to feel the difference, or they don't drive near the handling limits.

Just replace the tires with the proper size and see where you are before you start messing with the springs. Set the shocks on full hardness and see if you still scrape, then back off the strut settings and see if you're still okay. Go for medium firmness on the shocks if you can.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:58 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I put in a disclaimer note and people still complain...I said only because of his money issue. Getting stock springs for the cost of shipping and cutting them will be an a$$ load less than replacing the tires....it's not an end-all fix...just to get by for now.

I don't disagree that the tires are the wrong size, but in terms of money, cutting the springs is cheapest to yield results.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:48 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Sometimes I wonder how many people on the "CUT SPRINGS ARE GHETTO! THEY MAKE YOUR CAR RIDE LIKE CRAP! YOU WILL BLOWOUT YOUR SHOCKS!" bandwagon actually have first hand experience with doing it and doing it the right way (and I don't just mean starting off with a linear rate spring)...
Old 12-13-2010, 03:19 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Well I will admit that I have not been in a car with cut springs nor have I cut my own springs. But every writeup I have come across of people doing it have said the ride is not THAT bad and or no decrease in ride quality. You don't have be all scienticic about it. If a couple people did it and it was such a dramatic decrease in ride quality then don't you think at the first hint of cutting spring EVERYONE would say not to?

Some people can't get their head around the idea because it's a mustang and doing it is "ghetto"...Again in the OP's situation it's the cheapest and quickest solution.

EDIT: After reading over posts, I am not saying that cut springs are as good as a quality aftermarket setup...but it can serve as a temporary fix with no great adverse effect.

Last edited by smitty2919; 12-13-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:05 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Cutting springs is a viable way to lower a car--IF done properly and with a bit what we used to call "Yankee ingenuity". I have done it a few times (on bikes mostly) and never had any significant problems.

That said however it is a "mother of invention" sort of thing to do--and not at all the proper way if one considers all factors.

Quick Reply: car is to low?