4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:58 PM
04DSGv6

Default Exhaust Question

So if the 99-04 GT exhaust is 2.25" diameter, would it be best to stay with that diameter, or up to a 2.50" diameter exhaust?

Where is a good place to buy Borla Stingers from? *Link would be nice*

What is the best route for a H pipe? Custom fab H pipe from shop or brand name H pipe? If a brand name, link to where I could get it would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:16 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

www.Americanmuscle.com
www.Lethalperformance.com
www.ebay.com
www.craigslist.com
www.summit.com

Go with a MAC offroad H....and whatever catback of your choice. Check out youtube to match waht your preference is.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:26 PM
04DSGv6

Well I can't do an O/R H because I live in Missouri, won't pass inspection. So I have to keep cats. I know I want a catted H with Borla Stingers, I just need a good place to get all of this stuff.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:31 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Like I said, in addition to the links I already posted, you can also check out corral.net.

Also, you can keep your stock midpipe, and swap back to your stock catted midpipe once emissions testing time comes.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:34 PM
04DSGv6

That would be a pain when that comes around if it's all welded like I want. Plus I would have to pay someone to do it because I don't know how to do any of that myself.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:28 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Who ever said anything about welding? a midpipe connects the stock manifolds to the catback, with bolts on both sides. Quick and easy 15 minute job.

Last edited by PurpleIcedGT; 12-23-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

www.ebay.com
Old 12-25-2010, 02:20 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

You don't want to have a full welded system. If you do then every time you pull the trans you'd have to cut and re do the welds. The catted aftermarket h pipes wont pass smog anyway. You might pass the tailpipe test but you wont get by the visual. If you leave it with the bolts and flanges swapping the stock h pipe is a few minute job after you've done it enough times.
Whatever you do don't get rid of your stock pipe. I've been searching everywhere for one because I made a horrible decision in buying a mustang that came with only an off road h pipe
Old 12-25-2010, 07:24 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

^How in Gods name and all that is Holy, would a CATTED AFTERMARKET H PIPE not pass a visual test? People who don't know WTF their talking about should not comment.

Simple decision to be made here. Look at the websites given above, and depending on the catback you are choosing, you can go with a stock midpipe, catted X, catted H, prochamber, catted prochamber, offroad X, or offroad H. ALL of which, are simple boltons. Keep your stock midpipe if you choose to go with an offroad midpipe.

Best of luck.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:12 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by pk222
You don't want to have a full welded system. If you do then every time you pull the trans you'd have to cut and re do the welds. The catted aftermarket h pipes wont pass smog anyway. You might pass the tailpipe test but you wont get by the visual. If you leave it with the bolts and flanges swapping the stock h pipe is a few minute job after you've done it enough times.
Whatever you do don't get rid of your stock pipe. I've been searching everywhere for one because I made a horrible decision in buying a mustang that came with only an off road h pipe
This is false information, a catted mid pipe will pass a visual test because there are cats on the pipe. The point of the visual is to look for the cats? Not rocket science. As far as smog goes MOST of the aftermarket catted mid pipes have the C.A.R.B certification and will even meet california emmissions standards which is the strickest state.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question