4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Electrical issues? Still can't troubleshoot the throttle..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 PM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

Default Electrical issues? Still can't troubleshoot the throttle..

Hey guys. Went to a movie a few weeks ago and noticed when I came back that the dome light had been on the entire time. Even after I got into the car, started it, shut the doors three or four times, and made sure the headlight switch wasn't set to "on" for the dome light, the light wouldn't go out. I had to take it out (burned the **** out of myself doing so) to get it to shut off. This went on for a day or two, and then quit. It comes and goes every now and then. Without the dome light, I know when it starts because when I lock the car after getting out of it, the horn will beep twice, indicating it thinks the door is open. Is this most likely the switches in the doors?

Also, I STILL can't get riddle of that throttle issue! I want to put a video up to show what I mean, because although I've done engine work before, I'm still sorta new at it. The best way to describe it is that if the gas is pressed aggressively, you can hear the air shoot through the intake, but the engine pauses before actually revving up. I cleaned the air filter, bought new plugs (but haven't installed them yet, waiting on spring..), and a new fuel filter which I'll put in on Tuesday. Still clueless.. maybe cliff can chime in?

Also, anyone ever notice small dots of oil near their throttle body? I've got a few spots that appeared recently just on top of the intake pipe. I've seen oil in a throttle body before..

These must sound awfully stupid, but again, just trying to learn and get a hold on things. Thanks for humoring my long winded speech guys.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The oil in the intake/throttle body area could be blowby or oil drawn throught he PCV system, I would replace the PCV valve first there only cost a few dollars at any FLAPS and see if the changes any of the oil presence in the intake system. As far as the dome light is concerned I would check the door switches first maybe the connection was broken to the push sensor.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 AM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

Cool, I'll do that. I'll pick up the PCV valve. I'm due for an oil change anyway, I'll knock them out together. I'll see what I can find out about the switches. Thanks.