4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lowering Kit install cost estimates..

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:33 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
4.5 Hours????????????????? No way should it take that long with a lift and at a certified garage.
yea duh, forgot.... lift. i did mine about a month ago but i did it with jacks and jack stands and it took me about 5 and a half hours and thats what i was thinking.

Last edited by fordforlife0225; 01-06-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I did mine in my garage with no lift and it took me like 2.5-3 hours and thats with beer time.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:21 PM
ryanm
1st Gear Member

I actually called the local Ford dealer to get a price estimate on installing the performance handling kit that I bought (springs, struts, shocks, and sway bars) $550 + $55 alignment. The whole kit was less than $300. I laughed at the service guy, read up on the install online, and knocked it out in about 4 hours in my garage. Compressing the old springs with hand tools was the pain in the *ss part of the job. $40 alignment from the local shop in town and I was good to go.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by ryanm
I actually called the local Ford dealer to get a price estimate on installing the performance handling kit that I bought (springs, struts, shocks, and sway bars) $550 + $55 alignment. The whole kit was less than $300. I laughed at the service guy, read up on the install online, and knocked it out in about 4 hours in my garage. Compressing the old springs with hand tools was the pain in the *ss part of the job. $40 alignment from the local shop in town and I was good to go.
Im not sure what specific handing kit you got. But thats pricy (550?) I got the bullit handing kit from my ford dealership which included everything you mentioned for $440. I'd either shop around more or ask for a better deal.

Altho I got a helping hand (somone who taught me how to install the parts) Im glad that did it myself instead of a shop. Not only did i save money but the feeling of accomplishment far exceeds anything else. Also I found what percent of damage (dints n such) shops leave on your car everytime you bring it in. Sickening though gentlemen.

Plus I did my own ailgnment. And I went into Tires PLUS for a free alignment check.... needless to say, I was right on the money. FELT GREAT!!!! But 40 is pretty cheap.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Just got my baby back and it looks incredible..it is the perfect drop IMO. Rides like a brand new car compared to the factory set up. Install price was $250 including alignment. Very, very pleased with the way everything turned out.

Thanks everyone again for all the info and help! The mustang community is one of the main factors in me choosing to get a Mustang. You guys are the best.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 PM
BlueMagic
2nd Gear Member

Congrads, ive been there before many times with feel... and you got a heck of a deal all for $250? WOW
Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Yeah when I saw the bill, I was like holy crap haha. Now I have left over money for an x-pipe.

And thanks to you my car shifts like a dream and chirps into 2nd and 3rd lol. Thanks again for the shift-kit, I love it!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by ryanm
Compressing the old springs? Shouldn't have to when I did mine I just unbolted my calipers and shocks in the back and lowered the rear till I can pull the springs out by hand. Pretty much same thing in the front unbolted the balljoin nut, swaybar, and the strut and lowered the a-arm till it was almost vertical and pulled the spring out by hand.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM
BlueMagic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGt40th
Yeah when I saw the bill, I was like holy crap haha. Now I have left over money for an x-pipe.

And thanks to you my car shifts like a dream and chirps into 2nd and 3rd lol. Thanks again for the shift-kit, I love it!
No problem. Glad you like it and it worked out for you.

Compressing the old springs? Shouldn't have to when I did mine I just unbolted my calipers and shocks in the back and lowered the rear till I can pull the springs out by hand. Pretty much same thing in the front unbolted the balljoin nut, swaybar, and the strut and lowered the a-arm till it was almost vertical and pulled the spring out by hand.
Using a spring compressor though makes things easier and why not? Plus at O'Riley's one can rent them for free. Saves one alot of effort and time i believe.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 PM
ryanm
1st Gear Member

A few corrections:

1) I paid less than $300 for my handling kit. The dealer quoted over $600 for the install and alignment.

2) The rear springs came out without compression bc I could put the jack on the wishbone in the rear end. However, on the front when I dropped the A-arm to the lowest point that my jack goes I still had to compress the stock spring to get it out. Might have been a different story if I had multiple jacks and knew a safe place to jack up the engine.

Uber...you are a heck of a one upper/correctionist in your posts.

Always satisfying to do your own work IMO.

Quick Reply: Lowering Kit install cost estimates..