4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Do "bolt-ons" really work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Do "bolt-ons" really work?

h/c combo (heads/cams)

they are the best bolt ons u can do next to nitrous or F.I.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:09 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Heads/cams are still considered bolt-ons?

That's some serious work, not anything like bolting on a new plenum or throttle body. Most bolt-ons are a quick hour or so job. I dunno, I've always considers cams, heads, etc... serious engine work.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:59 AM
TheBob98GT
2nd Gear Member

is nobody going to mention the most important bolt-on of all? get a good CLUTCH before u put alot of ponies in that beast.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:13 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

With the mild mod boltons, you can easily spend nearly $2000 trying to get your 260HP 4.6 up to 300HP assuming you have a '97-'04. If you bargain shop, do work yourself, you can get that price down a lot. You can see, hear and feel that difference. You have to decide if it's worth that much money for a few HP. And if you do think that you'll be putting in a lot of $$$, then you should really study a plan for your power adder so that you can focus on the right parts now. I'm stuck at like just a tad more HP/TQ than my sig and dyno charts on my sig link says for HP/TQ as I am saving to build a house. For me, I'd have to start buying things like clutch, bulletproof axle,decent tires, etc before it would make any sense to put another HP into my GT. I think it will be a long time for me. Hopefully, you are in a position to spend some $$$ on yours and will not get stuck at just bolt-ons. Nothing wrong with bolts-ons unless of course you are not happy with that level of performance.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:15 AM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

yea do at least full exhaust and gears then blow it
Old 08-24-2005, 06:20 AM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

You have to keep in mind that there is also a lot of preparation for a supercharger, if you do it right. I just can't see how some people take a stock GT and toss in a blower and run 350+HP at the wheels with everything else just stock. It's just plane stupid.

Exactly, if you put a supercharger on without replacing almost all of the stock engine parts, the engine is going to blow up. Ive spent 5-6k on my engine and now it is finally ready for a supercharger or NOS. I mean it is possible to put it on a stock engine, however the engine will not last long.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

You can run a supercharger fine with stock exhaust, sure the supercharger wont respond as well but there are a couple other issues I would take care of before putting an exhaust on if u plan on going with a blower. First off build your bottom end forged rods, and forged pistons, that is the most important part. Stock GT crank can handle up to 450 horsepower so that isnt in dire need of needing to be changed unless you plan on going above that much horsepower. You can stay on the stock bottom end but personally I woulnd't go above 6 PSI on the stock bottom end. Some people will argue u can run up to 8 PSI safely but IDK I guess I'm just paranoid. Also if you plan on going blower when u buy your gears you are going to want to take into account that also. If you are going blower I would suggest 3.73's, you can go 4.10's but I beleive you will be shifting into 5th going through the traps and that will slow you down alot.
jishead made an excellent point also. You add a supercharge but have no suspension or tires it wont do you any good. If I had to do to it all over again I would start with suspension, put all the power down to the ground that you have right now then worry about adding more power. You would be amazed at how many people you can beat who are suppose to be faster than you just by having a nice suspension setup.
As far as to what a bolt-on is technically I mean u could call a supercharger a bolt-on becasue it does just bolt-on. I would not consider heads, cams, blower, nitrous a bolt on. Notice how some people will say "cam only" that normally means that they have all the bolt-ons and a cam also. So you can see that they are seperating the cam from the bolt-ons.
Personally if u only have enough money for just the blower and not enough to build the bottom end also I would just start with bolt-ons or keep saving your money until you have enough for both. Forged rods and pistons will only run you about $1K or so if that much and if u can do all the work yourself that will save you a ton of money.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:47 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Fryguy22

Exactly, if you put a supercharger on without replacing almost all of the stock engine parts, the engine is going to blow up. Ive spent 5-6k on my engine and now it is finally ready for a supercharger or NOS. I mean it is possible to put it on a stock engine, however the engine will not last long.
No offence but I really hate posts like this. First off you can spray or boost just about any stock bottom end and have it live a very very long time. The key is, and follow along here, conservative boost/spray levels and a good tune. Now if you want alot of boost or spray , then yes a forged bottom and higher quality parts are a must.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:16 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

There is no problem at all putting a supercharger on a bone stock engine with bone stock exhaust.

No, the S/C may not perform as well as it possibly can but who cares? It's still a better bang for your buck and a whole lot less trouble than full exhaust, gears, intake, etc, etc.... that everyone else is suggesting.

Theoretically, you can safely and easily add 100 HP (@ the crank) to a 2 valve 99+ 4.6 for about the same money as you are spending on all that other crap that will only get you about 60, on a good day.

Personally, I'm tired of doing hours of labor and spending hundreds, if not, thousands on mods that only net me 10 - 15 WHP. I should have just bought a blower right off the bat.

I think a nice conservative blower that you can upgrade later with pullies or an intercooler and a good tune is a great way to go. You can always do the other mods (starting with full exhaust) as time goes on. He said he won't be doing anything else for a long time anyway.

I'd blow the bish dude.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:58 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

I agree - SC is the way to go if you got the money to do it up front. Then all your bolt ons later on down the road will be so much more fun, instead of buying tb/plenum/cai, and getting 15 horsepower after spending 600 or 700 dollars.

Quick Reply: Do "bolt-ons" really work?