4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Code P0351 Follow-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

Default Code P0351 Follow-up

Well good news and bad news (depends). Good news is I found why coil number one is not firing. The reason why its good news is because I spent two weeks trying to find out what the problem is and now Im not totally clueless nomore. The bad news is that the connector to the plug and the wires have been melted (on just the #1 coil) wow...... SO! How do I go about fixing this , who fixes this? Am I going to have to save up for a year for such a repair? Thanks guys
Old 02-19-2011, 09:54 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

You can go to a ford dealer and order a pigtail kit and make the repair yourself
Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 AM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

GOOD DEAL! So you dont think the wires themselves are bad now since its melted?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by boothay
GOOD DEAL! So you dont think the wires themselves are bad now since its melted?
You will need to cut the harness back to where the wires are burned/melted...
Old 02-19-2011, 10:46 PM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

Roger that! Is this a common problem? How did this happen and how can I prevent it from happening to the other ones? How much is the pigtail? Thanks guys for all the help
Old 02-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Chieflikalotapus
2nd Gear Member

So just to clarify. Did your check engine light come on when this happened? And how did you read the code?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:10 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

When the COP boots go bad, plug gap opens up, and/or other situations occur in which the COP is dumping its "full load" (entire charge) repeatedly the COP will get VERY hot, very fast.

I built a COP Tester a while back, and though there was a lot of interest generated I never pushed it further because I found that if mis-used it was a very effective COP-Destroyer.

Forcing a COP (any COP) to dump it's full charge¹ more than 12-15 times in rapid succession will kill it, and make it so hot that you can smell it burning up--I measured an Accel COP I killed at 350°F+--the limit of the infrared thermometer I had immediately at hand. As the terminals have direct electrical, and therefore thermal, connection to the coil there could easily be enough heat transferred to melt the connector and wiring.

When the boots go bad the COP can fire the plug so there's no misfire, AND dump the rest of its charge into the head through the bad boot--this will not trigger a DTC because as far as the PCM is concerned² there was no problem.

---------------------------------------------------
¹ - With the COP-Destroyer I did this by opening the spark gap up to the maximum the COP could fire across.

² - The misfire monitor does not monitor ignition, AFR, or anything else; but instead "watches" the crankshaft rotational velocity and acceleration to detect misfiring. This is important to understand as a common misconception is that misfire DTCs (P0300 through P0310) automatically mean an ignition problem. This is not so, anything that creates less than expected velocity/acceleration of the crank will trigger a misfire code.

================================================== ===============
I actually made up a packaged COP-Destroyer for my own use--not practical for the mass market though:

Last edited by cliffyk; 02-20-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:20 AM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

Actually the CEL light didnt come on. It was missing really bad so I just hooked my SCT tuner up to it and Code P0351 came up.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There are two types of misfire monitoring cycles, one with a 200 engine revolution window and one with a 1000 revolution window. The first will cause the MIL to blink during the misfire event(s) and store a DTC (MIL stays off), the second will turn on the MIL and store a code.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 PM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

Well to my surprise it wasnt the melted wire. Its actually the first coil plug on the passenger side. When I unplug all the rest of them the engine dies down alittle, when I unplug coil #1 the engine stays the same. Question Is why would jjust one coil not fire if it was the ecu? Wouldn't a broken ecu not make any of the coils fire?

Last edited by boothay; 02-22-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Code P0351 Follow-up