4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Stanghead96
2nd Gear Member

Default tuning

can some please inform me what flashing your computer involves... i hered of diablo tuners? superchips?

What improvments can be seen?
Cost?
can you do it yourself?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:34 AM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: tuning

I am not familiar with using a flash tuner on a 96 model, so I can not say what improvements it might offer. My estimate would be up to 15 HP.

I am familiar with using them on 99+ models, and the cost ranges from around $250 used to $350 new. They are easy to use and dowload a performance tune to your vehicle's computer via the OBD port.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Stanghead96
2nd Gear Member

what is the difference, if any, between the new and used tuners....would it be worth it to buy brand new???

Also what brands are recommended??
Old 08-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Showrides.Net
1st Gear Member

I would go with a new one. I have plenty of people coming to me with xcals that didn't purchase them from me. They all say they bought one for a little cheaper then I sell them for but they never have any tunes for it. They are useless without tunes. Your best bet would be to buy a new one that comes with custom tunes for your car.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:36 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

New and used flash tuners of the same model will perform the same functions. Diablo does not not make one for a 96 model. Superchips and SCT do. If I were deciding between those, I would get the SCT XCal 2, since it is more versatile than the Superchips Max Microtuner in my opinion and can be used for custom tuning. If it so happens you have an automatic transmission a flash tuner is even more worthwhile.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

The question that I have in regard to this is – Is a tuner or chip worth the extra money when compared to a something like a timing adjuster?.

I guess it comes down to how poorly matched are the Ford’s fuel and timing tables are to the optimal of what the engine would need to make maximum power ( ? )

If these tables and curves are good, not much will be gained by tweaking them ( stock engine )

As of this moment I’m guessing that timing advance alone is worth about 5 hp

I have not found any posts with solid dyno numbers for either, much less a comparison of the tuners and the plain timing adjusters.

Any ideas ?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:58 PM
DeViouS
4th Gear Member

use the diablo predator tune, its about $375 and u could probably get about 10 - 15 HP out of it. down even touch the tune urself not worth it.

make sure u use high octane fuel if ur going to use that tune or if ur going to advance ur timing
Old 08-29-2005, 04:16 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: DVS99GT

use the diablo predator tune, its about $375 and u could probably get about 10 - 15 HP out of it. down even touch the tune urself not worth it.

make sure u use high octane fuel if ur going to use that tune or if ur going to advance ur timing
I don't know why you would say this dude because there is not even a predator made for a '96 mustang.

but since you brought it up........

you don't need high octane fuel with the predator tune. Maybe 89, but even that is not necessary unless you find that, for som strange reason your car suffers detonation....and you can easily "touch" the tune without any problems at all if you are not stupid about it. For example, don't lean it ALL the way out as far as it will go. Most of the stuff on a predator only applies to WOT setting anyway and their tune is still relatively conservative.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:18 PM
StangMan04
2nd Gear Member

get a XCal they can tune all 96+ Stangs. I have one if ur interested, just contact me.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:54 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Honestly I have very little faith in the hand held tuners. I just witnessed an 01 Vette gain 2 hp with SCT hand held tuner (I know it's apples to oranges but it is a decent comparison). My friend then put his custom tune it, picking up 3 max hp but more importantly he picked up 3-5 hp under the curve, which resulted in a better driving all around car. With the minimal mods you have I would not even bother with a tune yet.

Quick Reply: tuning