4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear control arms: tubular round or rectangular?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:48 PM
RhinoAL

Default Rear control arms: tubular round or rectangular?

I have a 98 mustang gt and I plan on getting some new springs and rear control arms. My question for the control arms is, what is the difference between round tubular and rectangular? Also, is their a better brand? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I don't think theres much difference between them, whats your budget? If you don't want to spend alot I would stick with stock uppers with a nice set of spherical lowers such as Team Z, Baseline Suspension, or Maximum motorsports.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:55 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

After some searching around i went with CHE LCA's. They seemed like a good compromise between street and strip.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by RhinoAL
I have a 98 mustang gt and I plan on getting some new springs and rear control arms. My question for the control arms is, what is the difference between round tubular and rectangular? Also, is their a better brand? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
100% of the time, I recommend a set with at least 1 spherical end, as my boy Uber has mentioned, but the brand would depend on what your needs are in an LCA.

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your ride?

Jazzer
Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 PM
RhinoAL

@Uber, Mrtstang, and Jazzer: I am looking to do some basic suspension mods to possibly do some auto cross in summer. I was also thinking about welding in a 6 point roll cage because I have to take out my carpet anyways (long story, basically some mice got into my car and chewed up my carpet ). Is that a decent idea?. I really don't have a budget. I got some tax money coming and I am a college student so in all reality I would like to spend as little as possible, but I don't want to get something if it truly is an inferior product. I was just looking at the cjpony rear arms. I am not trying to be a smart ***, but when you say spherical do you mean cylindrical? Im really not much into strip especially because I don't have anything special done to my engine. That is going to be my last priority because its the most expensive and with the suspension I can build it part by part.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Red2002GT
1st Gear Member

Pound for pound tubular is better.
I can't recall all the scientific mumbo jumbo at the moment but picture a rectangle and putting force on it and imagine the stress of the force traveling through it.
Its gonna come to a dead end 90 degree angle.
On tubing its just going to keep getting dispersed.
Gotta be a reason roll cages and every driveshaft I know uses tubing.
I really like my MM lowers, they are 4 years old with no problems so far.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:24 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

@Uber, Mrtstang, and Jazzer: I am looking to do some basic suspension mods to possibly do some auto cross in summer. I was also thinking about welding in a 6 point roll cage because I have to take out my carpet anyways (long story, basically some mice got into my car and chewed up my carpet ). Is that a decent idea?. I really don't have a budget. I got some tax money coming and I am a college student so in all reality I would like to spend as little as possible, but I don't want to get something if it truly is an inferior product. I was just looking at the cjpony rear arms. I am not trying to be a smart ***, but when you say spherical do you mean cylindrical? Im really not much into strip especially because I don't have anything special done to my engine. That is going to be my last priority because its the most expensive and with the suspension I can build it part by part.
Spherical ends are heim joints, they have to rubber or poly material bushing. If your on a tight budget I would recommend staying away from a Cage unless you can weld yourself because installation costs would be pretty expensive. I picked up an 8 point cage from s&w race cars but I have a buddy that helped me with the install otherwise shop install was pointing up near $1000 for some places.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

One can easily spend many, many thousands of $$$ on suspension, so you can piece one together. This is provided you KNOW your ultimate goal and keep it in mind during this time. The first thing to understand, is that 1/4 mile suspension and corner-carving suspenion is two completely different directions. They can have a few identical parts, but that is it.

I recommend you start with FLSFC's and go from there. If you are into a bit of research, and you should be at this point, hit up my suspension guide and be dissuaded from any further consideration of building a CC Mustang

Jazzer
Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 PM
RhinoAL

Jazzer, I have read through the suspension guide. It was very helpful and insightful, especially because my suspension knowledge is minimal. After reading that I think I may just scrap the whole plan that I had before of upgrading the factory struts and springs, and going with a coil over set up. I was looking at the koni 1130 1701 kit. Do you know anything about this? The reason I chose this kit is because it is reasonably affordable and my roommate ran the same koni kit on an import he had and said it was pretty good. If I get this kit I won't even be able to get the LCA's (which is funny because it was the reason for starting this thread) for a while because of the cost of the CO's but I suppose thats how it goes. I also will ditch the roll cage idea for now and order some FLSFC's, that way I still get to weld something on to my car
Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Red2002GT
1st Gear Member

Are you sure that Koni part # is coil overs?
When I google for them every place says 4 Shocks/struts and springs.
And they have the same "Image may not reflect actual part number selected"
I think the part # you listed is not coil overs.

Quick Reply: Rear control arms: tubular round or rectangular?