4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

finished my UPR k-member/coil-over kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Endrance
1st Gear Member

Default finished my UPR k-member/coil-over kit

it been done for about 2 weeks now and may i say holy sh*t what a difference it made in the ride of my car.

i read a lot of complaining about how noisey the coil-overs were and figured it was the rattling from the silver adjuster banging on the strut

this was easily fixed by taking a small bit of toolbox liner, wrapping it around the strut, and then sliding the adjuster down. (nice and tight, no noise now )

center punch came in real handy when drilling the holes for the c/c plates

and ta-da!

i initially had bought the regular style UPR K-Member and attempted to put it on. all was going well untill my dad and i tried to get it up to the motor mounts, to find out it was off by about 2 inches. i called UPR and it turns out they had sent me the k-member for a 94-95 . they were very helpful and sorry about the mix up, but didnt have any of the regualr style left so at a reduced price i got an upgrade to the chrome moly k-member

steering all hooked up

underside (quite the difference from the stock k-member)

coil-overs installed

and the end result (close call with parking)

all-in-all i must say im EXTREMELY happy with this suspension and UPR, they have great products and are very good with their customers. a small side note i did have to grind down the small nipple on the motor mount so that it would settle onto the k-member properly but after that it was smoothe sailing.

p.s. after i had the car aligned i still have some play on the wheel, im thinking its the inner tie-rod. any opinions on that?
Old 03-16-2011, 02:51 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Congrats man! Aftermarket K members add so much more engine clearance than the stocker.

What springs did you go with?

EDIT: 12/250 for the springs
Old 03-16-2011, 07:31 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

so when you gettin a turbo kit now that you free'd up all that space? lol... and congrats. good thing you went with UPR and not QA1!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

I'm planning on doing that same kit when I do my engine swap. Did you need the bump steer kit?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:52 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

Man I really wish I went with Upr instead of spending so much money and all for qa1+problems
Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Endrance
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmitchell373
I'm planning on doing that same kit when I do my engine swap. Did you need the bump steer kit?
I don't have it atm but I am going to be getting it. Its definately a good idea to get of you're going to be installing this
Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Endrance
I don't have it atm but I am going to be getting it. Its definately a good idea to get of you're going to be installing this
Ok cool, I'm saving all my penny's so i can do full UPR front and back suspension with coilovers. when I do my engine swap.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Endrance
1st Gear Member

so anyone have any ideas about what could be up with my steering? (the p.s. on my first post)
Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

Oh, lol have someone watch while turning the wheel with the tires on the ground, youll be able to see where the slop is, from the column-universals-rack-ball joints.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:48 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

i have slop recently in my steering as well, also i get a ticking feeling in the wheel when i turn to the right at 40mph and more its strange

Quick Reply: finished my UPR k-member/coil-over kit