4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

gears grind if i shift fast????

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 PM
firechicken93

Default gears grind if i shift fast????

i just got a 96 gt. It's had some recent tranny work, new stage2 clutch, tob, pressure plate, & short throw shifter. All the gears feel tight and there is no grinding if i shift slowly. If i try to shift quickly(hit the clutch and throw it into gear) it grinds. I don't understand why it would grind with the clutch fully engaged. any thoughts? do i just not know how to drive with a short throw?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Worn out synchros.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by firechicken93
i just got a 96 gt. It's had some recent tranny work, new stage2 clutch, tob, pressure plate, & short throw shifter. All the gears feel tight and there is no grinding if i shift slowly. If i try to shift quickly(hit the clutch and throw it into gear) it grinds. I don't understand why it would grind with the clutch fully engaged. any thoughts? do i just not know how to drive with a short throw?
how many miles on tranny and clutch?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

MY car does the same thing on the 1-2 shift. Same trans as you.. synchros worn out
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM
firechicken93

well i just got the car. supposedly 5k on the tranny but i don't know if the synchronizes were changed. definitely a newish stage 2 clutch, that i can feel. if i shift slow it never does it, regardless of rpm's but fast shifts it grinds. when in gear there is no wiggle room that i can feel, tranny feels tight. So this stuff points to synchronizes? I thought it would always grind if they were going?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM
firechicken93

I was just hoping it wasn't true. I know this question gets bounced around a lot but how hard is it to change synchronizes? I've never been in a manual transmission but i have been tinkering with cars for years. Is this a backyard project if i borrow a bearing press and get a couple extra sets of hands and a Haynes manual to help me?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 PM
giosoccer20
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by firechicken93
I was just hoping it wasn't true. I know this question gets bounced around a lot but how hard is it to change synchronizes? I've never been in a manual transmission but i have been tinkering with cars for years. Is this a backyard project if i borrow a bearing press and get a couple extra sets of hands and a Haynes manual to help me?
i finally found someone with the same exact problem! I still have my hopes up that it isn't the synchros. I had my stock shifter on until last week and i could never shift fast while redlining becuase that grinding happened. so i started shifting at around 4500rpm while doing 0-60 runs, and it shifted perfectly. (all with stock shifter). now though...with my steeda tri ax, it seems to grind from 1-2 at any rpm, when i'm trying to shift fast, it's tickin me off. I hope that it isnt the synchros
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 PM
flyingkidjoe

my mustang does it at 4500 rpm's from 1st to 2nd. but the tranny is salid. new clutch as well. double clutching helps. but i've heard the t45 tranny in our mustang is a weak tranny.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by giosoccer20
i finally found someone with the same exact problem! I still have my hopes up that it isn't the synchros. I had my stock shifter on until last week and i could never shift fast while redlining becuase that grinding happened. so i started shifting at around 4500rpm while doing 0-60 runs, and it shifted perfectly. (all with stock shifter). now though...with my steeda tri ax, it seems to grind from 1-2 at any rpm, when i'm trying to shift fast, it's tickin me off. I hope that it isnt the synchros
Sorry bro its the synchros, common for the t-45s.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

+ 1 on the synchros..

Quick Reply: gears grind if i shift fast????