4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

comp cams 262s? or 270s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:46 AM
nasty04GT

Default comp cams 262s? or 270s?

so ive been looking into getting a set of cams for my 04 gt with 71k miles to give it some "umph" and i'm looking to just replace the cams. i do not want to change the valve springs because installation then goes over 1k (just installation, no parts included). i do have the basic mechanic knowledge (im all about DIY), but i just dont know much about the internals of my car, so i rather get a professional to do it. im considering the comp cams 262's because from what ive researched, they are an overall good cam that does not need valve springs changed. i wanted the 270s for better HP gains, but i think you have to upgrade the valvesprings on those?? do you guys (or gals) recommend any other cams for my set up? this car is used primarily in the city so i would not like to loose much low end power. any advice would help. thanks!!

my current mods:
FRPP 3.73 gears
BBK shorty headers
Pypes O/R X pype
SLP LM 1 catback
JLT CAI
BBK 78MM Throttle intake
SCT x3 w/ bama custom tune
Old 03-24-2011, 01:07 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

link?

im assuming 262s are stg 1 cams and 270s are stage 2 cams, and most likely you will need aftermarket valve springs.

Most people will reccomend CMS (cushman motorsports) cams ... which i am not adverse to as Jim cushman is a member on the site, also they seem to be good cams.

Hi-tech stage 1s are also a common cam

More than likely the stage 2 cams make power higher, which the stock valvesprings can not sustain resulting in floating valves.

all in all a stage 1 cam is a stage 1 cam and power is not going to vary much from company to company.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:20 AM
nasty04GT

these are the 262s and yes, they are a stage one http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...s-xe262ah.html and the stage 2 are these http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...s-xe270ah.html
Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

The 262's won't need valve springs (the 270's will) and would be a decent choice if you want a grind that will be both n/a and blower friendly. Now if you plan on staying n/a (or with nitrous) i'd recommend either MHS stage 2's or CMS stage 1's. Both will have acceptable ptv clearance if installed at the advertised specs, won't require upgraded valve springs, and both will be a little better than the 262's in a n/a application.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
The 262's won't need valve springs (the 270's will) and would be a decent choice if you want a grind that will be both n/a and blower friendly. Now if you plan on staying n/a (or with nitrous) i'd recommend either MHS stage 2's or CMS stage 1's. Both will have acceptable ptv clearance if installed at the advertised specs, won't require upgraded valve springs, and both will be a little better than the 262's in a n/a application.
This, except comp 270s don't "require" a valve spring upgrade.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
This, except comp 270s don't "require" a valve spring upgrade.
Yeah i guess you are technically right now that i think about it.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Sorry it's off topic but, I've been away almost a year and we're still talking about Comp 262's? I thought by now those miracle TFS heads would have made some sort of Justice League Edition cams that would have saved the little 2v and started making 800rw na?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Those miracle TFS heads come with a pretty price tag and to make them worth buying over ported PI heads you'll need to see high rpms.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:06 AM
nasty04GT

so the 270s got good ptv clearance? i want something that would make my car sound good at idle and give me some decent power. thats why i was trying to go with stage 2
Old 03-25-2011, 05:16 AM
aviator97

I went with a used set of 274's which came with beehive springs as part of the deal. Overall I am very happy with them, the car makes a lot of power with a wicked idle. Be careful of the ptv issues with comp cams. Mine had major ptv with the stock pistons, which lead to notched pistons, which lead to removal of pistons, which lead to upgrading to flat top (99 cobra, great mod by the way) pistons and the story goes on.

If I could go back and do it again I would use MHS (modularheadshop dot com) custom cams, the comps are very good but his are better. Also, he has a hole line of cams that do not require springs, cams that are designed for maximum performance but use stock cams. After I finish the suspension on my car I will probably upgrade to a set of his and sell my 274's.

Good luck with your upgrade and most of all have fun!!

P.S. there is a tool out there that allows you to change cams in these engines without removing the timing chains. This means you only have to remove the valve cover to change the cam!! That would make the job very easy and allow you to do it yourself saving lots of money to use on other mods!!

Quick Reply: comp cams 262s? or 270s?