4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Power Mods for a Noobie

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 PM
OlGeezer

Default Power Mods for a Noobie

I am new to this forum and haven't been on since May of last year.

I'm still getting used to the 1999 GT I bought a couple of years ago. I finally put a couple of bucks together and was really anxious to improve the suspension. It was trashed. I felt like I was sitting on a go cart on the freeway. My "build" philosophy is to replace parts when they wear out, but replace them with better parts. I just ordered the Eibach struts and springs and KYB shocks. It will be lowered almost 2" and I'm pretty excited.

Even before I replenish the kitty, I'm now turning my thoughts to power, particularly since the new 300 hp six cylinders are on the streets. I remember reading when I was on the forum last a thread about the increasing order of power upgrades in a "bang for the buck" theme. Of course, I can't find the thread. In the recent reading, I've come to the conclusion (until of course when I'm corrected with the responses I get) that I should probably skip the CAI and TB mods and go straight to exhaust and tuner. Even if I'm right on my assumptions, man, I get a headache looking at all the options for exhaust upgrades (with a dramatic range of $$) and then I had a similar experience with tuners.

Can someone get me pointed in the right direction? I don't mind having to do a little research, but I don't want to waste precious money.

My goal? Of course, I would love another 100hp but not if it cost me $10k. That would be stoopid. Of course, if that's just what you finished doing, then of course, it's not stoopid. It is just what my wife would say about me doing it.

Thank you,
Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

first, decide what you wanna do, Drag only/mostly? street machine (i'm assuming this is what you'll want it mostly)? corner carver/autox?

suspension is probably the most overlooked mod in these cars. there's so much room for improvement. of corse you need big bucks for the major stuff though.

if you want quick easy power, a 100 shot of N2O will get you where you want.
if you want to spend a bit more, a supercharger kit might good for you, especially if you can do work yourself, you'll save yourself alot of money, but you could end up spending alot of manhours.
then there's turbo' systems. they're amazing, but very pricey, and can get complicated.

first off, do the cheapest mod -- remove the stupid air intake silencer from your intake tube. there should be a post in the sticky's. then go and get a K&N to match. dont bother spending 200$ on a CAI, when for a 25$ filter you can have the same thing. the stock intake tube is essentially a CAI.

exhaust will free up a couple ponies, but not a huge amount to notice, main thing there, is get something you want that you think sounds good. the biggest improvement here is long tube headers, but they're a bit expensive, and a PITA to do.

also, gears would be a HUGE improvement, probably one of the best bang for your buck. you should match these with your style of driving. if you have an auto, i say 4.10 unless your going with any sort of big power adder later. with a 5 speed, 3.73's are good for a more Daily driver car, 4.10's if you dont do a ton of highway driving.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 PM
OlGeezer

Originally Posted by zero2005
first, decide what you wanna do, Drag only/mostly? street machine (i'm assuming this is what you'll want it mostly)? corner carver/autox?
I'm more interested in corner carver/autox than drag racing. As soon as my suspension parts are installed, I will be looking for / asking about driving schools / track days.

suspension is probably the most overlooked mod in these cars. there's so much room for improvement.
I agree. That's what I am doing first, but I thought I mentioned that.

of corse you need big bucks for the major stuff though.
damhik

if you want to spend a bit more, a supercharger kit might good for you, especially if you can do work yourself, you'll save yourself alot of money, but you could end up spending alot of manhours.
Doing the work myself is out of the question. Ignoring that I'm clueless and ham fisted, my garage isn't set up for much. It's such a PITA to lift the car, I even have the service station change the oil for chrissakes.

then there's turbo' systems. they're amazing, but very pricey, and can get complicated.
I'm surprised you make supercharging sound more attractive than turbocharging.

first off, do the cheapest mod -- remove the stupid air intake silencer from your intake tube. there should be a post in the sticky's. then go and get a K&N to match. dont bother spending 200$ on a CAI, when for a 25$ filter you can have the same thing. the stock intake tube is essentially a CAI.
Thanks. I'll scan the stickies. The K&N is already installed.

exhaust will free up a couple ponies, but not a huge amount to notice, main thing there, is get something you want that you think sounds good. the biggest improvement here is long tube headers, but they're a bit expensive, and a PITA to do.
I don't care about the sound, I'm more interested in performance. I just thought increasing flow would allow me to do a Stage 2 tune.

also, gears would be a HUGE improvement, probably one of the best bang for your buck. you should match these with your style of driving. if you have an auto, i say 4.10 unless your going with any sort of big power adder later. with a 5 speed, 3.73's are good for a more Daily driver car, 4.10's if you dont do a ton of highway driving.
I just missed the "gear upgrade" opportunity. I recently had to replace all differential bearings.

Thanks for the response.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 AM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

IMO the SSS terminator cat back system is the beat bang for the buck. Where can u get a full stainless system for 350?

But it were me I would start out with a tuner and gears if your looking for best bang for your buck
Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Schweino
1st Gear Member

Anyone able to throw out a good tuner out for this? I have a Hypertech chip in mine, and TBH I have no idea how it adds HP. Change when fan kicks on and rev limit thats it. Id love to upgrade it.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 AM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

I like sct
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM
StangKid018
3rd Gear Member

Get rid of the chip and go with an SCT Tuner. American muscle provides a good free tunes for life program. So when you upgrade something months down the road you can call them up free of charge and theyll send you a new tune for whatever you added to your car.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Endrance
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangKid018
Get rid of the chip and go with an SCT Tuner. American muscle provides a good free tunes for life program. So when you upgrade something months down the road you can call them up free of charge and theyll send you a new tune for whatever you added to your car.
A big +1 to that I will be getting that soon. As for exhaust if you want performance I'd say go with magnaflow. Its definately not as loud as some of the other exhausts but its a great performance exhaust especially if you slap a set of LTs on it
Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 AM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Save your money and buy you a used s/c. You can find them all day for around 2,500 or 3k. Stay away from spending a buttload of cash on mods that only give your minimal hp. Before you know it, you'll have dumped alot of money and the car will still be slow.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I guess my first questions would be what are the ultimate plans for the car, and how much do you want to spend right now?

Quick Reply: Power Mods for a Noobie