4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

98 Gt to 07 GT Engine Swap??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 PM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Default 98 Gt to 07 GT Engine Swap??

Anyone know anyone that pulled an engine swap off like that? im sure im not the first person to ask haha. I towed in an 07 gt and the insurance company totalled it and is offering to sell me the engine thats got 23,000 miles on it. I wanna put it in my 98 gt but i dunno if itll fit. How much work am I in for?! Anyone with any tips id really appriciate it!! thanks guys n gals!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

I know it is a direct swap, everything is completely interchangeable. As far as work goes, you're obviously going to have the knowledge to swap out the engines, from what I understand, it's not a huge PITA to swap the engines
Old 04-01-2011, 12:08 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i'd say it is a huge PITA, but it's all relative, you need the room to work and all the tools associated(hoist, torque wrench/impact wrench etc).

the block's are the same (therefor basic swap in). the heads are the main difference. they 3 valves versus our 2. they also have variable cam timing. that would be the biggest main pain in the ***. you would need the original 07 GT computer. not sure how pats would work, so you may have to pay someone to disable it if possible. also, because of the VCT, using a standalone ECU like megasquirt would be for the most part, out of the question, so your only option is the stock ECU, or lock it out (i'm not really sure how one would do that?)

now, the trans from the 07 i cant really comment on, i know that they have different shifter setups and thats about all i know about them. honestly, i'd say stick with whatever trans you have if staying N/A. if its auto, that'll be one more thing that the computer has to control, and electronically you could have problems with...

if your looking to pay for a 3v, i'd ask why? unless you can get a really great deal or really need an engine bad, i'd say it might not be worth it... there are better options, and IMO, the 3v sounds like *** for exhaust note.. and now that i think about it, you might need a custom exhaust setup too.

alot of piddly things add up, and alot of things can go wrong that you'll have to get creative with. ask me how i know :P

Last edited by zero2005; 04-01-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:13 AM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Gah, my mistake, I misread and thought he was trying to put a 97 GT engine in, not an '07.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 AM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
i'd say it is a huge PITA, but it's all relative, you need the room to work and all the tools associated(hoist, torque wrench/impact wrench etc).

the block's are the same (therefor basic swap in). the heads are the main difference. they 3 valves versus our 2. they also have variable cam timing. that would be the biggest main pain in the ***. you would need the original 07 GT computer. not sure how pats would work, so you may have to pay someone to disable it if possible. also, because of the VCT, using a standalone ECU like megasquirt would be for the most part, out of the question, so your only option is the stock ECU, or lock it out (i'm not really sure how one would do that?)

now, the trans from the 07 i cant really comment on, i know that they have different shifter setups and thats about all i know about them. honestly, i'd say stick with whatever trans you have if staying N/A. if its auto, that'll be one more thing that the computer has to control, and electronically you could have problems with...

if your looking to pay for a 3v, i'd ask why? unless you can get a really great deal or really need an engine bad, i'd say it might not be worth it... there are better options, and IMO, the 3v sounds like *** for exhaust note.. and now that i think about it, you might need a custom exhaust setup too.

alot of piddly things add up, and alot of things can go wrong that you'll have to get creative with. ask me how i know :P
thanks for the input! yah the only reason i would think about doing it is cause its a great deal. They said they'd sell it to me for 500 bucks so i think its a great deal. My engine has 109,000 miles and its been burning oil like an SOB. I wish i could take the whole car haha, its an 07 gt/cs, BEAUTIFUL car that a hs teen girl dumped the clutch in racing a 6 cylinder and smacked a pole haha. figures right???
Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

With a history like that for the car, I'd double check the condition of the motor before dropping it in.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:35 PM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
With a history like that for the car, I'd double check the condition of the motor before dropping it in.
guess i shoulda specified haha, she had the car for a day. It was adult owned prior to her by a 58 year old man who rarely drove it. She purchased it from a dealer, still had the temps on it when she crashed it.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
beautiful car btw
Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

That makes it a bit easier.
And thanks.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

If you're worried about ease of the swap, then go with a 99-04 2v or a 96-04 4v. The 05+ 3v's are a good bit different and it won't just be plug and play like the other ones are.

But if you're not worried about being able to do it, then go for it. But then again I'm kind of one for not so mainstream swaps. A Ford into a Ford is easy, lol.

Quick Reply: 98 Gt to 07 GT Engine Swap??