4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problems with stock tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

At your level of mods there should be nothing about the "custom" tunes that would affect idle, to the extent you describe, as opposed to the stock tune--unless the stock tune file has been corrupted.

What have the Bama people told you? It should be easy for them to compare the stock tune saved in the handheld to a known good tune to rule out the possibility of its being corrupted. That would be the first thing I'd do when trouble shooting a Delta Force issue like that you describe.

Last edited by cliffyk; 04-11-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:41 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

I haven't heard from Bama in over a week now so I have no idea if they're still trying to figure this out or not. Forgot about this, when the stock tune is downloaded to the car, along with all the shaking and stalling, the theft light is blinking. When the car finally dies the battery light comes on and the theft light stays on. I'm just gonna keep one of the "custom" tunes on the car but this is gonna drive me nuts until someone figures out whats going on.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

I don't know anything about SCT's yet, but here goes. Sounds to me like your O2's are trippin out. Is the option to shut off the rear O2's a separate function than your standard 'tune'?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:09 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

rear o2's shouldnt make a difference? i unplugged mine on a stock tune and it ran fine. should just throw a CEL due to emissions. that'd be another story if it was a pre-cat o2.

if its been that long, i'd call bama again to see if they are still working it or what.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Moonshine
I don't know anything about SCT's yet, but here goes. Sounds to me like your O2's are trippin out. Is the option to shut off the rear O2's a separate function than your standard 'tune'?
That it runs fine with one of the custom tunes, and does not with the stock tune, indicates that the front O2 sensors are fine--there's nothing in the tune that can make them work or not. And as zero2005 stated the rear sensors have nothing to do with engine control.

My money is on the stock tune file being corrupt, it happens, and is one of the reasons I am not wild about the tuning systems that do not allow you to backup the stock tune--the only copy exists inside of the handheld's memory.

Bama can straighten this out, get on their case..
Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Damn, I tried.

You can't upload the 'backup' onto a computer? I know my DS had an original backup.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Moonshine
Damn, I tried.

You can't upload the 'backup' onto a computer? I know my DS had an original backup.
I have never used the SCT SF3/X3 which I suspect is an SF3 box upgraded to X3 (AFAIK the SF3 only allows canned tunes, while the X3 can also 3 custom tunes. The boxes have different labels, however the SF cane be upgraded to an X3 with a firmware update.

As I have never used either I do not know their capabilities with regard to saving the tune files...
Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I have an SF3. When they were originally sold the difference was that the SF3 offered three pre-loaded "strategy tunes." They have since been merged into the same firmware depending on the SN of the unit. All devices starting with "XP" are "enhanced units" and are now merged and essentially the same, both SF3 and X3. Both can draw the stock tune from the ECU onto the handheld and then with Livelink software the stock tune can be pulled off of the handheld. I got a copy the first day I got my SF3 for this reason. I am not a fan at all with how SCT has setup their software/update system. It blows quite honestly. Its been improved but is still very very sensitive to doing absolutely anything outside of very specific procedures. Its just really fragile software/firmware.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Hangwire,

Good info!

==============================================
OP, did you copy your stock tune from the device to a PC?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Hangwire,

Good info!

==============================================
OP, did you copy your stock tune from the device to a PC?
Nope, sure didn't. Like I said earlier, I do not know much about these tuners. Therefore I didn't know I could do that. Only instructions this thing came with was how to read DTC's, how to upload a custom tune and how to switch back to stock. The only thing I can think of doing is figuring out how to put of copy of my stock tune on my computer, getting ahold of BAMA and sending it to them to see if something is wrong with it. Other than that, I'm clueless. And as Hangwire posted, I have an enhanced unit cause my SN starts with XP.

Last edited by huey_33; 04-11-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Problems with stock tune