4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Good COP Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:26 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

CJ pony has Accels, 8 for $209 with free shipping. I wish I had known this before I went to advanced and spent $175 for 4...
Old 04-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Weapon-X COPS FTW. I love these things. Affordable and quality COPs and no retarded looking oversized COP that requires a bolt to install. My only gripe with the weapon x's is that they could have spent a lot more effort making the gaskets fit right at the top. Due to the angle they really dont make that great of a seal at the top. However as long as you're not a dumbass and you dont spray water directly onto your engine(far too many people do this and recommend it as safe if you "cover your COPS") you're fine.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:10 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Weapon-X COPS FTW. I love these things. Affordable and quality COPs and no retarded looking oversized COP that requires a bolt to install. My only gripe with the weapon x's is that they could have spent a lot more effort making the gaskets fit right at the top. Due to the angle they really dont make that great of a seal at the top. However as long as you're not a dumbass and you dont spray water directly onto your engine(far too many people do this and recommend it as safe if you "cover your COPS") you're fine.
you say they are affordable, where would i be able to find them? im sure they're still probably a good chunk of change, but if you know of a better place to buy them than i do, i wanna know lol
Old 04-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
you say they are affordable, where would i be able to find them? im sure they're still probably a good chunk of change, but if you know of a better place to buy them than i do, i wanna know lol
Yep you're right. But you get what you pay for. Sometimes people don't really think and try to skimp on really crucial parts. The consequences were talking about are a burnt or cracked piston or worse. Saving $100 on COPS aren't worth having to phone MMR for a new longblock.

http://www.weaponxperformance.com/ca...roducts_id=103
Old 04-16-2011, 05:41 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Yep you're right. But you get what you pay for. Sometimes people don't really think and try to skimp on really crucial parts. The consequences were talking about are a burnt or cracked piston or worse. Saving $100 on COPS aren't worth having to phone MMR for a new longblock.

http://www.weaponxperformance.com/ca...roducts_id=103
oh no, i was sayin about saving cash on the cops ealier about stock/fail designs for smoeone running a stock block. no reason to spend 400$ on craptastic "high spark" cops, when you can get stockers that'll last longer and be cheaper. my cops are still running strong for now (or they were at least), but when i do my megasquirt, i may switch out depending on how the MS likes the stockers. if not then either i'm going back to EDIS/coil-packs if i can live without 2-step, or upgrading to weapon-x's.

thanks for the link i could only find them for ~400. 300 is definately reasonable.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

You are the only person I know who has not had troubles with them. I consider you a lucky ducky.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:15 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

^^^ make that two
Old 04-16-2011, 08:24 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

are you both running the weapon X street's or their EFX supercoils?

http://www.weaponxperformance.com/ca...roducts_id=100
Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I'm running streets. Theres a ton of high power 2Vs out there running stockers with no problems. This and their information about the XCOP EFX's convinced me that until i'm making serious power I dont really need to spend the extra $150 on the EFX's.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I burned up two sets of the EFXs, the first lasted 500 miles or so, the second less than that. The first set started skipping when the engine got hot, and I sent them back and put the stockers in.

The second set behaved to same with a quirk. My regular "coming home" commute includes a 35 mile run on I-95 at usual speeds (80 to 85) and then 3 miles or so at 60 to the beer store. After 2-3 minutes of heat soak at the store the engine would not start, I had to let it sit for 20 minutes before it would fire.

Both times when I took out the W-X COPs they smelled burned. There has never been a problem $$-wise, and they are working on a new, thicker, boot to prevent the arcing through the boot caused by the EFX's VERY high potential...

Quick Reply: Good COP Replacement?