4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Code P0460

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:48 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Default Code P0460

Any way to fix this? My fuel gauge reads less than E constantly now...

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here are the possible causes and diagnostic tips--work the list from the top down...
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Cliffy,

I've tried going through that list. Not sure I'm fully understanding. Can you shed any light on what I should be doing?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Cliff's link works well if you have the Ford IDS scanner to check the PIDs. Sounds to me like you have a bad fuel sender most likely. The fuel gauge works off ohm readings. As it sweeps the resistance will vary and cause the gauge to move. I'd drop the tank and pull the assembly out, and check the resistance as you manually move the float up and down
Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Cliff's link works well if you have the Ford IDS scanner to check the PIDs. Sounds to me like you have a bad fuel sender most likely. The fuel gauge works off ohm readings. As it sweeps the resistance will vary and cause the gauge to move. I'd drop the tank and pull the assembly out, and check the resistance as you manually move the float up and down
Ugh!! Haha. What if it's not that? What else could it be? I guess I'll have to find some time this weekend. Thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 10:35 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It could be a shorted wire 'tween the sender and the instrument cluster--have you changed anything, had any damage, etc?

Use the HEC (Hybrid Electronic Cluster) self-diagnosis mode to examine the FUEL parameter (bottom of page 1).

If the observed value is between 93 and 215 then the problem is in the fuel gauge itself¹, not the wiring, if it is less than 40, or 0-18, then there is a wiring short.

----------------------------------------------
¹ - The "gauges" are servo-motors driven by the instrument cluster micro-controller, if the HEC diagnostic digital value is between 41 and 230 then the gauge motor is bad.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Well I get FUEL000 So there is a short somewhere. Boy, this out to be fun to find... Ha ha. Any idea where the most common short locations would be ?
Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have not heard of any common issues with this, has there been any event(s) roughly associated in time associated with the gauge's not working--bumps, running over something, repairs???
Old 05-12-2011, 08:03 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

sorry to hear about your luck man, this is one of those things that you sit there and think "why the f#ck does this have to happen to me". good luck!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

cliffy - i had the steering column down for a couple days, but after reinstalled, the gauge was working. as far as i remember, it was working, i parked it for a few days (week maybe) and got in it one day and it was on E... there was a good amount of time between the steering column being down and the issue too....

kugz, thanks man. not the worst issue in the world. im using the trip meter when i do drive the car right now, and just being cautious. but would be nice to know how much gas i have, haha.

Quick Reply: Code P0460