4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

supercharger questionez

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:02 PM
TEXASx2000xMUSTANGx
2nd Gear Member

Default supercharger questionez

so i decided that im gonna build the bottom end and go with either a vortech or a kenne bell instead of heads, cams, all motor ect..., but cant decide on which to do. i wanna do the twin screw but at the same time i want a centrifugal blower. can someone help me make this decision a little easier? keep in mind this is my daily driver, but i also want a car that will still whoop some a**. im feeling the vortech, but if you have other suggestions please say so

Thanks ahead!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

It may be a baised opinion from me but I say vortech. these threads may throw Some info at you to help you in your choice. https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ercharger.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ercharger.html
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...charger-n.html

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...differnce.html

Last edited by Rockwell28; 05-23-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM
TEXASx2000xMUSTANGx
2nd Gear Member

ya i completely agree, plus gotta love the sound of the vortech whistling. lol
Old 05-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

I've had a procharger p1sc and a vortech v3 Si trim both were intercooled. I ditched the vortech for the procharger because i didn't care for it. Ditched the procharger and put in a intercooled 2.1l kenne bell and I couldn't be happier. I had all 3 of them on the same vehicle so from my standpoint i say kenne bell all the way. I'm the opposite way on the sound, that twin screw winding makes me cream my pants... lol
Old 05-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TEXASx2000xMUSTANGx
ya i completely agree, plus gotta love the sound of the vortech whistling. lol
I love the whistle and how I can floor it from a slight roll and the power comes on smoothe and build with the rpms instead of flooring it and the power is flat out instant and just roast the tires. Some say cetri for the drag and kb for fun on the streets but thats debatable and always will be opinions will always flow endlessly. but the links I sent you should have well over 100 replies on these very subject pd blower vs centri. Take out a few minutes to check them out by the time you get done reading through them there should be a replies on here after you're done.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Have you ever driven a car with a positive displacement type charger on it? The instant torque is very different (and addictive!) feeling from the centrifugal. I would think it depends on what you want out of it. For red light to red light, around town, daily driving kind of fun, I'd say the KB would do you better. But I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the Vortech will bolt on more easily with less additional work required, yes?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

where the hell are you getting this all you do is roast tires from? I only roast my tires if Iwant to roast my tires. Maybe its because i run good tires and i also run a 315/30/18 which is 12" of contact on the ground but i never "accidentally" roast my tires. I occasionally chirp them, but I did that with all 3 blowers....

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
Have you ever driven a car with a positive displacement type charger on it? The instant torque is very different (and addictive!) feeling from the centrifugal. I would think it depends on what you want out of it. For red light to red light, around town, daily driving kind of fun, I'd say the KB would do you better. But I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the Vortech will bolt on more easily with less additional work required, yes?
You are correct, the vortech and prochargers are basically you bolt and go. A kenne bell requires you to take pretty much everything above the heads off, from the intake manifold up because the kenne bell has its own intake manifold with it. And yes, a pd blower is a completely different beast than the centrifugal.

Here is a pic of my kenne bell before it was installed. This is just the blower/manifold part of the kit.

Last edited by Gt04; 05-23-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

these are not my words but its a true statement posted on a different forum by another member. bottled 2v "this is a big debate that will never be answered. if you're looking for hp i'd say a vortech/procharger are better as they are cheaper, and vortechs are the cheapest to piece together and thus usually the most popular. kb's put out awesome torque right away but cost more. you could prolly build a turbo car for the price of a kb" wikedsnake00 "Depends on what you want. Centrifugals like procharger and vortech will give you more power on the high end, and twin screws like Whipple and Kenne Bell will give you more down low. Twin screws torque spikes by 2500RPM and remains flat throughout the band, while it is linear for centrifugals. Also twin screws will exceed centrifugals in power up until around 5000-5500RPM. I won't point you toward one or another, choose what you'd like."
Old 05-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

I know mine is just a roots and not a twin-screw, but similar in the torque power curve, and ya I don't roast the tires either. I absolutely love the low end torque...

But yeah he's right about the debate never ending. There will never be a clear 'this one is better' answer...
Old 05-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

And op since Ive gotten a warning earlier about fussing with members on here Im gonna choose not to respond to any aggresive response towards me. But to sort of answer a few of the questions about what Ive drove in the past 11 years Ive had 14 different cars and 4 different bikes and have driven a few of my buds modded cars so im not some young clown that has only diven my stang. But like I said op its an endless debate just take a look at the threads and for the sake of me not getting in trouble with the moderators again im gonna close my words off on that note.

Quick Reply: supercharger questionez