4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

First Cylinder 5 now 6 WTF?! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation First Cylinder 5 now 6 WTF?! HELP!

OK so the other day cylinder 5 misfired, i plugged my OBD reader in and got that code back, so i changed out all the spark plugs with new motorcraft ones, checked all the coil springs that are are the COP's and they all looked fine, so now 5 is fine but all the sudden now 6 is misfiring i don't know whats going on? could it be i need a tune b/c of all the mods i have done. ill list my mods just for reference
Mods:
BBK CAI
PP 70mm TB
PP 75mm Plenum
Stack Racing Manifold Spacer
BBK Shorty Headers
MAC O/R H Pipe
Magnaflow Magnapacks
Thats all the performance mods that ive done to the car i don't know if this would effect anything but i couldn't hurt to just let u guys know whats been done so far, any help would be appreciated, again i changed the spark plugs and the COP coils looked to be in good shape, im to the point where i just wanna bring it into a shop and have them figure it out! UGH! thanks guys!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

How is the condition of the rubber boots on COPs ?
You can try swapping coil 6 to another location and see if misfire moves with it.
Then that COP is to blame
Old 06-07-2011, 10:02 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Like I said in the last thread... you have a COP issue. When one cylinder goes, its 9 times outta 10 the COP causing the plug to go bad. Also, 1 bad COP will set off wacky rf signals and cause other coils to go with them.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:14 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

i switched cylinder 6 with cylinder 7 COP'S and now im getting some rediculout U0180 code saying like malfuctions with automatic lighting or something wierd but now also im getting a code saying multiple cylinder misfires, it doesn't specify which ones but im hoping this is just the COP's but i wanna make sure,
Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

code U0180 is loss communication with lighting control module, wtf does this mean?!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

I agree with WhiteFoxGT on this one.
It sounds like you have multiple COPs failing.These thing will act up when they want.
If its in your budget I would purchase a new set of COPs before you end up causing more issues then you started with like dumping raw fuel in engine.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Look replace #5 coil and #6 coil. You just did the plugs correct? Go from there

If you woulda listened to what I said in your first thread a day or so ago you'd been fine right now. Sometimes I wonder why I waste key strokes lol

Last edited by WhiteFoxGT; 06-07-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:10 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

lol ok agreed but damn there gona be expensive, its like 40-60 bucks a pop for each one! the bolt is stripped on the #5 COP, so gotta figure out how to get that damn bolt off, so i should just replace 5 & 6 u think? is there a way to test them to see if there good or not? thanks guys i can't say it enough
Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

ok so i had the car sit for about 45 min and let it cool, started the car to see if i got the same codes, i cleared them from the previous misfire, not only did the car sound fine but i got no codes and there was no misfire, if this sounds like a clear COP issue lmk thanks guys, i just don't get why sometimes i will misfire and then it wont on other times?!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:06 AM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

ok i know im posting like a maniac here but i just let the car cool down for like idk 2hrs and then turned it on and got no codes or misfires, so i decided to drive the car down to my walmart and back (about 10mile round trip) and got no codes or misfires, does any of this make sense can the COP misfire sometimes and then not at other times? im stupped, or do i just need a bama custom tune to recalibrate everything from stock to custom? thanks guys

Quick Reply: First Cylinder 5 now 6 WTF?! HELP!