4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Still cant get stock H pipe off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:16 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Still cant get stock H pipe off.

Been foolin with it for a couple days off and on, its awefully hot down here.

Got the o2's out, got the rear couplers loose, and the drivers side manifold coupler nuts are off.

On the passengers side, Im using 2 8" extensions and a universal, with a deep well 15mm socket.

I can get the soclet on squarely, then the universal, then the 2 extensions, and they come out between the cat and the frame. Ive turned it til the ratchet snapped (crappy craftsman) so now ive got a harbor freight ratchet on it and it takes the torque but the nut just wont budge.

Ive hit it with PB blaster, WD40, etc...wont budge.

I think one of the problems is the universal is about 30* from straight, so its a pretty good angle there....

Any ideas? Im using an impact socket, extension, and universal to reduce flex..but its still flexing pretty good...

Cant tell if I just have a bad angle on it, or its just that tight...
Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Rusted through and through.

Impact gun best way. Couple good pulls of the trigger real quick like and either the nuts will pop loose or the studs will snap off...
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 PM
btbw92091
1st Gear Member

i agree with the impact gun that should work well it always does for me when you do it go a couple hits in reverse and if it still wont budge hit it in forward and then reverse until it breaks free switching forward to reverse will be the best way to not break the stud and try to find a universal socket if u can it will be shorter and you shouldnt have as much of an angle on the universal and if you dont know what a universal socket is

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....e=&dir=catalog
Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by btbw92091
i agree with the impact gun that should work well it always does for me when you do it go a couple hits in reverse and if it still wont budge hit it in forward and then reverse until it breaks free switching forward to reverse will be the best way to not break the stud and try to find a universal socket if u can it will be shorter and you shouldnt have as much of an angle on the universal and if you dont know what a universal socket is

yep, got a set of shallow well impact swivel sockets. But I didnt pay 45 bucks each for em. haha

My 1/2" impact pooped the bed last week, so Ill have to run into town for a new one...I dont think my 3/8 impact is up to the job.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

3/8's is plenty. You're not looking to bust it. The shock from the gun is what will break it loose. That's why I said a couple quick trigger hits should work. Not continous force
Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
3/8's is plenty. You're not looking to bust it. The shock from the gun is what will break it loose. That's why I said a couple quick trigger hits should work. Not continous force
Well I can sure give it a shot, my impact is capable of 75ft/lbs, and ill crank the compressor up to full pressure and use as little hose as possible....
Old 06-10-2011, 05:28 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

also work backwards to try to break off the rust meaning go forward with the impact then backwards then forward just keep doing that....any what kind of impact do you have at 75ftlb thats real weak lol....

man up! torque that thing like your gf is watching!! haha
Old 06-10-2011, 06:47 AM
87fordgt

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone mention heat? A lot of it too. I had the same issues on my 99 Cobra. Had a helluva time getting the right angle to get a good bite on the nut. Couldn't get it to budge. Got out my propane torch and just heated the nut up super hot. The hotter the better. A propane torch's heat won't hurt the nut. Heat expands the nut and breaks the rust. I had one nut come off and the other the stud came out. Either way I got it off. Heat and patience.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Got the H pipe off...what a pain in the ***.

Got the new X under it and immediatly noticed the pipe was really close to the trans shifter, so I dropped it and made a notch in the pipe to give some air gap there.

Then I got the 2 pass. side nuts on...and tight.

On the drivers side, the lower stud came out with the spacer seized to it.

so I put some vice grips on the spacer and started turning the nut. Got the spacer about half off and the stud snapped in the nut...how nice.

so now I need a stud and a nut...I can fab up a spacer...

Also...how much fun is it when you get the pipe all mounted and realize the rear studs stayed in the stock H pipe?....hahahaha
Old 06-10-2011, 02:28 PM
7gtthrilla
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by btbw92091

^Strongly agree

Quick Reply: Still cant get stock H pipe off.