4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

sn95's PI swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Default sn95's PI swap

so i guess i should get around to posting up my progress here but at it for a few weeks on between work and family duties, so dont expect it to be done over night lol

so i bought the car is NJ from a stealership for $2K, not a bad deal, had a HORRIBLE vibe to it, and leaked like an old Triumph... thought the bottom end was toast, so talked them down (from $7995, idiots) and actually made it the 250ish miles home with no issues. it smelled bad and i made sure i had 5 gallons of coolant, didnt need it, although i did run out of gas right over the GW bridge, THAT was an adventure...

drove it around for about 2 months, beat the hell out of it, raced idk how many rice burners, my brothers leftover 04 GT and never lost a race, the 4.10's make a HUGE difference, my buddies cammed PI motor swap 98 GT didnt feel this fast.

anyways, went to go take it out for trip downtown to buy a gallon of milk for my son, took my friend for a ride, drove it nice and easy got about 1/2 mile from home and blew an intake manifold gasket, figured that was about time to pull the junk so here we go...

so here it is after sitting for about a month waiting to get AAA'd down to my moms in CT where all my tools and an actual garage is lol

couple pics of pulling the old motor out

look at all the crap that got burned onto the pistons... ewwwwww

so at about this point, i found out that the issue was motor mounts that had NO rubber in them at all, and a trans mount with 2 broken studs on it...

evidently the guy that owned it before me was more concerned with his bitchin rims yo and his DVD than maintaining it... so the bottom end is good, time to grab a PI motor to rip parts off of!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:51 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

time to clean up the bottom end a bit, new seals etc etc..

found a PI motor!!! only $100 from the junkyard down the road

waiting for them to pull the motor, decided to fix the leaking trans

Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

few pics of the car several hundred pound lighter lol

pic of the little bros 04 GT, only 3300 miles on it

got the new motor!!!!

stripping it down

this motor had both the chain guides/tensioners ground down with a bunch of little aluminum shavings in the oil pan... good thing i didnt just drop this in like they said i could...

put the PI cams in the NPI heads, hopefully i cant get a few bucks off them...

cleaned the heads and did a little mock-up to stay motivated its been almost a month...

the wife lending a hand lol

more to come when i get more parts/money/time guys!!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 PM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

looks like its goin smooth..good thing for grandmas smashed lincoln you get a new motor
Old 06-30-2011, 05:17 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

lookin good.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:05 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

just got an MGW shifter from Bman2000 (thanks bro!!!!), should be here sometime next week!!!

ordered HG changing kit, longtubes, OR X, TFS crank sprockets, waiting for it to show up at Mustang Unlimited so we can get going lol
Old 07-03-2011, 10:09 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Nice. my cars in the Westfield area right now. (where i'm from) know of any good shops in the area that can burn a diablo chip base tune? shoulda went SCT when i had the chance
Old 07-03-2011, 11:27 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
Nice. my cars in the Westfield area right now. (where i'm from) know of any good shops in the area that can burn a diablo chip base tune? shoulda went SCT when i had the chance
oooff no idea bro...

im going down to J&M Motorsports in Manchester CT to get my car tuned, i know the tuner there...

if you want its a little more than an hour away from Westfield and they're good guys...

i just moved here 2 years ago and my wife and i are planning on going back to CT ASAP so sorry im no help lol
Old 07-03-2011, 11:48 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

nice. i'll have to check it out. driving an hour isnt that bad. hell i had to drive my car 45 minutes, without a tune after swapping injectors and maf, AND putting my turbo on, just to get it dyno'd the first time.

now i got the diablo chip, so if they can do diablo stuff i can just bring them the chip first to burn a "safe" tune - until i can ditch the stock ECU altogether and go standalone!

sadly, once my car is done, i probably wont be able to drive it in MA anymore lol wont pass emissions haha. every other state should be fine. doubt a cop will ask.

been tossing around the idea of hand porting my dinged up PI heads, putting them on a block from one of them granny specials like you found, and droppin it into a nissan 240sx for laughs. lol. that or a pushrod 5.0. always wanted to build me one of them and/or a BBF. you have sparked a new light onto that fire. so when my wife asks - i'll tell her it was your doing! haha jk.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
nice. i'll have to check it out. driving an hour isnt that bad. hell i had to drive my car 45 minutes, without a tune after swapping injectors and maf, AND putting my turbo on, just to get it dyno'd the first time.

now i got the diablo chip, so if they can do diablo stuff i can just bring them the chip first to burn a "safe" tune - until i can ditch the stock ECU altogether and go standalone!

sadly, once my car is done, i probably wont be able to drive it in MA anymore lol wont pass emissions haha. every other state should be fine. doubt a cop will ask.

been tossing around the idea of hand porting my dinged up PI heads, putting them on a block from one of them granny specials like you found, and droppin it into a nissan 240sx for laughs. lol. that or a pushrod 5.0. always wanted to build me one of them and/or a BBF. you have sparked a new light onto that fire. so when my wife asks - i'll tell her it was your doing! haha jk.
haha its all good, i have a 302 block with some TFS heads thatll be finding its way into an FC RX7 soon lol.

i love bastard cars that CLEAN UP!!!

Quick Reply: sn95's PI swap