4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

radio question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:53 PM
rell

Default radio question

my rdaio used to show artist and title in display. now does not. i must have hit a button or something. reset?? any help?? its the OE radio with multi cd player
Old 07-03-2011, 03:01 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rell
my rdaio used to show artist and title in display. now does not. i must have hit a button or something. reset?? any help?? its the OE radio with multi cd player
If the OE radio in your car is as "reliable" as the ones from 96-00, then it could be on its way out. You could do a reset on your entire car by unhooking the negative cable from the battery and have to set everything up again. Just my .02 and a suggestion. Sorry I'm not more help, good luck to you
Old 07-04-2011, 02:43 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

while listening to FM radio or CD? if its the FM, it could just be the fact that certain stations dont emit the artist/track or you dont have good enough reception.

havent even looked at a stock radio since 07 so i couldnt tell you otherwise.
resetting the car by pulling the negative cable for several mins will reset all your presets - so you could try that like mensioned.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:29 AM
rell

i know on many vehicles if you disconnect the battery you can lock the radio up in a security mode/anti theft type thing. theres no worries that will happen on an 0-4 OE system???? i dont have a car alarm but there is a security lite on the dash
Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

? how are you supposed to change the battery then. its perfectly fine to disconnect the battery. it resets the KAM (keep alive memory).

PATS is a whole nother story, there's a transmitter in the steering column, and it communicates with the ECU. the chip inside the key has to be within proximity of the transmitter for the car to start. disconnecting the battery should have no affect as long as you dont try to mess with any wiring.

infact, some shops will automatically reset the KAM as a first diagnosis in troubleshooting certain problems. not to mention that anyone who works on cars disconnects the battery as a first step to prevent shocking themselves accidentally (or worse)

so dont worry about disconnecting the battery is what i'm getting at lol

it will reset your radio presets, i think everything defaults to something like 87.5 for FM? cant remember. been so long since i've even seen a stock radio. usually they all crap out. if you have the 6 cd changer, be prepared for it to start eating CD's and jamming up. its a common problem, and the main reason i ditched mine.

previous owner was a middle eastern gas station guy who jammed 10 "Bang-rah bash" style CD's into it, and they got stuck between the actual disk retaining mechanisms, popped off the front plate to get one of the CD's i had get stuck in there to find his lost CD's, which i then discarded out the window at 90 MPH while traveling down i95, somewhere in the upper NJ area. i think i might still have 1 left over as a lol momentum.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Webdoc

If it's the stock Mach 460. Hit the "menu" button to toggle through until you see "RDS." Use up/down arrow buttons to turn it back on.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 AM
rell

[QUOTE=zero2005;7605522]? how are you supposed to change the battery then. its perfectly fine to disconnect the battery. it resets the KAM (keep alive memory).

problem solved guys. turns out if you hit the menu button you'll find an RDS setting . just turn it on. many here have have a dislike for the OE system but mine is great. love it.

BTW how are you supposed to change the battery?? you use a battery saver. inexpensive device plugs into your cig liter and keeps you from losing presets,ect. AND as I said before on many if not most of the newer vehicles you are going to lock the radio up and have it go into a security mode requiring you to enter a vehicle specific code to get the radio operational again. I manage a tire and service center.dont ask me how i know. LOL

BTW tahnks to all for your input. if i can be of any assistance to a forum member my shop is in Apopka FL. let me kinow
Old 07-05-2011, 09:07 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=rell;7606632]
Originally Posted by zero2005
? how are you supposed to change the battery then. its perfectly fine to disconnect the battery. it resets the KAM (keep alive memory).

problem solved guys. turns out if you hit the menu button you'll find an RDS setting . just turn it on. many here have have a dislike for the OE system but mine is great. love it.

BTW how are you supposed to change the battery?? you use a battery saver. inexpensive device plugs into your cig liter and keeps you from losing presets,ect. AND as I said before on many if not most of the newer vehicles you are going to lock the radio up and have it go into a security mode requiring you to enter a vehicle specific code to get the radio operational again. I manage a tire and service center.dont ask me how i know. LOL

BTW tahnks to all for your input. if i can be of any assistance to a forum member my shop is in Apopka FL. let me kinow
i realize this, but it doesnt apply to our cars. (the lockout that is).

i would never buy a car with that feature, unless i planned on ripping the radio out to begin with. its features like that, that really annoy the crap out of me. i at least hope that there's a way to turn it off, on most newer cars then. my wifes 2009 lancer, luckily, does not have that feature

most shops i have been to dont use that battery preset saver your talking about though. then again, most of the shops i have been to, are NJ shops. most NJ shops are class-A bull****. they charge a premium fee for little to no work. (there are exceptions however).
IIRC, that preset saver wont reset your KAM or the CEL either.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 AM
rfomlover
1st Gear Member

I live in Orlando! Lol.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

As stated above our cars do not have the security system built in to the radio, also as stated above there is NO way I would buy a vehicle with the security system in the radio--that has go to be just about the stupidest thing any automaker has ever come up with.

OP, you can download an owner's manual from Ford, which would have solved your problem right up front...