4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SMOG inspection Gone bad.. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 PM
FLYBOY_GT
1st Gear Member

Default SMOG inspection Gone bad.. NEED HELP

Today I tried to get my car's emissions test done for the year and for the first time it didnt pass. My problem is that the OBD test failed because of a Miss Match in what ford says are parameters that are installed and can be checked via the OBD.
Here are the ones that supposed to be supported but are not working or registering on the car,
Misfire
Catalyst
EVAP
O2 sensor
O2 heater
EGR/VVT

Im wondering if I put the stock tune back on if it will make them work again? but even still it passed it all last year with the xcal tune on the computer. I have never had the O2 sensors turned off nor do i have eliminators on and there is no CEL on the dash that something is wrong so Im lost. The Oregon DEQ printout says these should be working and are not..
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

slip the guy $20 and call it a day
Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 AM
FLYBOY_GT
1st Gear Member

HAAAHAHA.. I wish it was that easy..
Old 07-07-2011, 09:04 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

well what is that easy is making a copy of someone else's inspection tag. you can do wonders with photoshop and a good printer, or hell, even MS paint
Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Had you recently disconnected the battery, or flashed a tune? Doing so will clear the OBD2 monitors and require several drive cycles to reset the I/M readiness codes.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

What you described sounds exactly like what Cliff said. It sounds like it's been reset and hasn't read the drive cycles enough.

Originally Posted by trailor
well what is that easy is making a copy of someone else's inspection tag. you can do wonders with photoshop and a good printer, or hell, even MS paint
And then get pulled over, have it checked and go to jail for a felony. You're an idiot.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 AM
FLYBOY_GT
1st Gear Member

No new tune, had the same tune on the car for the past 2 years. Yesterday I set it back to stock and am now trying the to get the drive cycles completed to clear the P1000 code. I put 180 miles on it yesterday and still has the code, any where from in town bumper to bumper to highway miles. My big problem now is that I dont know how fast I'm going since I have 3.73 gears in and now I'm back to stock. I will just keep driving it around till it goes away. Thanks Cliff for the drive cycle paperwork, that helps a lot
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
And then get pulled over, have it checked and go to jail for a felony. You're an idiot.
If you make a good enough copy, you won't hafta worry about that. I don't know any cops that thoroughly inspect inspection stickers (being pulled over 20+ times, having a father who used to be a cop, having friends that are cops, and working with cops, i would say i have a decent bit of backing to make this claim), usually they will give them a glance, or at most check for a sig on the back. You're an idiot for thinking cops are that efficient.

Last edited by trailor; 07-07-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:08 PM
FLYBOY_GT
1st Gear Member

Well sorry to have started a pissing war over my little dilemma!! Any way, is there any way to know if some of the tests have finished? Im wondering cause if I know whats done already I can focus on the others that arent done and get this done sooner. Possibly a code reader will tell me or will it just tell me the P1000 till everything is done? I have an xcal 2 that just gives the P1000.
thanks guys
Old 07-07-2011, 04:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by FLYBOY_GT
Well sorry to have started a pissing war over my little dilemma!! Any way, is there any way to know if some of the tests have finished? Im wondering cause if I know whats done already I can focus on the others that arent done and get this done sooner. Possibly a code reader will tell me or will it just tell me the P1000 till everything is done? I have an xcal 2 that just gives the P1000.
thanks guys
Most code readers will pull and interpret the I/M Readiness code--it's Mode 01, PID 01 which returns 4 bytes (A through D), with bytes B to D bit-mapped as shown below:

Bit 7 of byte A indicates whether the SES (MIL) indicator is on, bits 0 through 6 are the number of DTCs currently set.

Quick Reply: SMOG inspection Gone bad.. NEED HELP