4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

sct tuner ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:10 AM
johnmvtv
2nd Gear Member

Question sct tuner ?

Got a sct tuner with the free bama tunes.The 93 octane race tune makes my car ping like hell at wot.Any ideas?Thanks
Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

try different gas station. I had that problem too when I was running the 91 race. The circle K around here was causing my car to ping like crazy...so I started to use Shell down the street and it helped.

Also, I waited 2 tanks of running 91 before loading the tune just to bleed out any excess 87 gas. Did you run at least one tank of 93 prior to loading the tune? If not, it could be excess lower grade gas thats causing the ping.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Correct me if i'm wrong but if you load the 93 octane tune don't you have put 93 octane in it or it will ping?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dominant1
Correct me if i'm wrong but if you load the 93 octane tune don't you have put 93 octane in it or it will ping?
unfortunately, not all gas is the same, despite what gas stations advertise. expect your local discount stations to have dirtier gas w/ lower-than-advertised octance ratings due to less quality standards that are expected of the major companies (shell, exxon, chevron, etc)
Old 07-12-2011, 01:17 PM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dominant1
correct, 93 or higher but some places do have worse gas than others.

There are people that will have 87 in the tank, run it down to the gas light, fill up with 93 and then load the tune. This will cause pinging just because there is still some 87 left in the tank.

I referenced 91 in my post because we only have 91 here in Phoenix, except a few places.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The race tunes are pushed to the limit so they are very touchy on quality of gas. Find a station where the tune won't ping and stick to it or dial the timing back a few degrees.

I don't like to be bothered so much by having only 1 or 2 specific gas stations i can go to (as long as they are Chevron, Shell, or Exxon) so I dialed back the timing by a couple degrees on my 91 Performance tune. Otherwise I found only one or two gas stations local to me where I wouldn't get a ping under heavy moderate or WOT with the tune as-was.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

As others have said, you need to run at least the first tankful of 93 through with a less aggressive tune before loading the 93 octane optimised tune--did you do that?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

This thread puzzle me to the fact that someone would run 87 octane in their Mustang to begin with??
Even on a 87 SCT tune.. I wouldnt

Ive never ran less than 93 in my Mustangs, I would think if you own a Mustang and your complaining to spend a few more cents per gallon then why have a Mustang to begin with??

These car should require only premium gas from factory my guess.

At OP .. I say try another gas station( Top Tear) like Sunoco or Shell.
I hear Mobile isnt even a Top Tear gas, But my Mustangs run great on their 93.

Mobile or Shell for me ONLY then Sunoco if thats all there is near me.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Running anything higher without a tune to take advantage of it is just wasteful, Period. If your car is stock then 87 octane is all you need. Anything higher is just throwing money out the window for no benefit.
It's not the cost of the gas, its the fact you gain zero by using it unless you are set up to take advantage of it.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Running anything higher without a tune to take advantage of it is just wasteful, Period. If your car is stock then 87 octane is all you need. Anything higher is just throwing money out the window for no benefit.
It's not the cost of the gas, its the fact you gain zero by using it unless you are set up to take advantage of it.
No you make sense and are correct.
Reason I stated what I said is because my 93 Corvette says Premium Gas Only.
I know its 10:1 compression( LT1 ) and I can see needing Premium Gas there.

Figure Mustangs (V8 only) needed Premium gas as well but I can see maybe not needing it because its a low compression motor.

Quick Reply: sct tuner ?