4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Power Steering Leaking from "bellow"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM
02dkbluegt
1st Gear Member

Default Power Steering Leaking from "bellow"?

My power steering has just started leaking, it looks like the "bellow" (as I see it called on rockauto) might be slightly cracked and its leaking pretty good. Is the backside of the bellow open to the fluid or is there a secondary seal behind this that could be the true culprit?

In doing my research on here I also found out I messed up when topping the reservoir off the last few times with power steering fluid, how foolish of me for using power steering fluid on the power steering... When I remove this bellow and/or seal will this allow all the fluid to drain out so I can properly fill it with ATF next time?

Thank for the help.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 PM
02dkbluegt
1st Gear Member

After doing a little more research I found there is a seal behind that, and if its leaking from the bellow then that means the seal is shot, and replacing that seal requires special tools and its usually easier/cheaper to just replace the whole rack.

My next question is, I've got to drive another 120 miles or so until I can get to some tools and more than likely replace the whole rack. Is it best to now keep it full using ATF or should I continue with PSF since I've already mixed some in? Would some power steering stop leak harm anything if I'm going to have to replace the rack anyway? Any suggestions on where I should buy the new rack or what to be looking for?

By the way, the "bellow" is the black expandable tubing the covers the connection between the tie rod and the actual rack itself.