4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Change pistons/rods with heads on motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:30 AM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

Default Change pistons/rods with heads on motor

Is it possible to take out the rods/pistons with the motor out of the car but the heads still attached? The reason i ask is because i might possibly need new pistons and/or piston rings and i JUST spent $700 on new tty cobra head bolts, head/intake gaskets, etc, (no more than 75 miles on them) and id like to not have to unbolt the heads again since those bolts are 1 time use.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 AM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by avexhype
Is it possible to take out the rods/pistons with the motor out of the car but the heads still attached? The reason i ask is because i might possibly need new pistons and/or piston rings and i JUST spent $700 on new tty cobra head bolts, head/intake gaskets, etc, (no more than 75 miles on them) and id like to not have to unbolt the heads again since those bolts are 1 time use.
I dont see any way you could hone the cylinders to accept new rings with the heads on, even if you physically could get a hone up there, the most important part is the top where the ring inversion zone is located....and even then, could you adequately clean the grit out afterwards...I just dont see it happening.

What happened to your pistons/rings in 75 miles of driving since the heads were off?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:34 PM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

damnit man... no what happened was car overboosted or something, detonated/lifted the heads and blew out the headgaskets. changed out the gaskets car runs good now but theres extreme amounts of blow-by, most likely rings or cracked piston(s)/ringlands. will do a compression test but im 90% sure since its puffing out the oil fill cap.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:37 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

Not happening! I can't believe you even asked.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

trust me you'd ask if u spent $700 on head changing parts, then to find out 3 days later and only 1 day of driving that you might as well have burnt that money with a lighter.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:28 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Not to be an ******* but it's kind of common sense...
Old 08-07-2011, 07:44 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Id think you would be pushing out of the back if it was a piston/ring.

I had an AMC 360 with 1/2 of the top of the piston crown missing with most of the top ring visible...that ran fine with no blowby or smoke...so if you are getting blowby, id expect some smoke.

Id wonder about a possibly warped head or something like that...A leakdown test will tell the story.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 PM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

well there is smoke, comes out the valve cover breather and out of the oil cap. heads are fine, not only were they freshly decked about 1500 miles ago with the new motor, but i just rechecked the surfaces at the machine shop and pressure tested them as well they were good to go.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Sorry Man that sucks. Although I have to say I'm so very pleased not to have these problems anymore, lol

My buddy ended up smoking 3 motors in as many years making 500rw and he just had to pull the motor again because of a blown head gasket. He's got about 4k miles on all three motors combined.

I finally finished mine, put 1200 miles on it, parked it and dismantled it. Crazy sure, but nobody was going to drive away in my blood sweat and tears. lol
Old 08-08-2011, 05:53 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Nope rods and pistos have to come out via the top of the block deck.

Quick Reply: Change pistons/rods with heads on motor