4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:38 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmitchell373
I have the UPR Tripple and it was perfect. Im using the center hook with a OEM cable with 110k miles of stretch on it.
yeah, that's what i just bought off of ebay. i was reading up on UPR's site and reading the installation instructions. it says that if you have a stock cable and a firewall adjuster, to attach the cable to the hook that is closest to the firewall. so it looks like they are already aware of the fact that the setup that i have could stretch the cable too far.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:18 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I like your attitude!

Before you install the new quadrant break all the sharp edges of the cable groove and at the barrel end sockets--I did the sides of the groove but neglected to make sure the exit from the barrel socket was radiused and it cut through my stock cable.

It took it 70k miles for this to happen, and I was right up the street from my house when it did, however it would not have broken if I has properly radiused the quadrant--read more here...
thanks for the heads up. i have a dremmel at the house, so i'll definately be grinding off the inside of the hooks so they don't fray the cable. have you had any problems since you got your new quadrant and modified it, or do you think dremmeling it out solved the issue you had?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

Before i installed mine, i had the cable in the engine bay and held it in place on all 3 hooks and used a rat tale file to clean all the edges it could ever touch.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:50 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I did not replace the UPR quadrant, I just cleaned up the sharp edges that I should have cleaned up when I first installed it way back when, and re-installed it.

I've put a couple thousand miles on it since installing the new cable and have not seen any sign of wear...
Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Same situation
UPR triple pickup did the trick!!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:58 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

got the UPR triple hook yesterday and installed it, worked like a charm. i put it on the second hook and had to unscrew the firewall adjuster a LOT but i got the clutch pedal adjusted right where i want it.

my only remaining question is about the quadrant. i had a BBK single hook installed that was a PITA to put on. the holes seemed like they needed to be machined in order to get it to fit, but instead it was just shoved on. i needed to take a large flathead screwdriver and use it as a pry bar to get it off. the UPR one just slipped right on. it also came with 4 washers. now, where are they supposed to go? i tried a few different configurations, because i noticed that because the UPR quadrant would slide on the pegs, i could hear the cable binding as a pushed the clutch in. the way i have it right now is, i put all the washers on the peg that is stationary (farther from the firewall) to act as spacers. then, i put the quadrant on. the quadrant sits on the peg with just enough room to put the clip on to hold it in place. it took a lot of the binding sound away, but every now and then i still hear it.

did i install it correctly? this wasn't an issue with the BBK because it had to be wedged on there, but the UPR one slides freely.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:14 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The washers are used as needed to align the quadrant's groove laterally on the pedal shaft, with the cable passageway through the firewall adjuster. It is the manner in which you have used them that is causing the cable to bind.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The washers are used as needed to align the quadrant's groove laterally on the pedal shaft, with the cable passageway through the firewall adjuster. It is the manner in which you have used them that is causing the cable to bind.
how should i have it installed? the instructions on UPR's website don't even mention the washers. it's difficult letting the clutch out slowly, because the clutch cable will jump back at me. it's not a smooth disengage for the first few inches. any suggestions?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:55 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by IRSmart
how should i have it installed? the instructions on UPR's website don't even mention the washers. it's difficult letting the clutch out slowly, because the clutch cable will jump back at me. it's not a smooth disengage for the first few inches. any suggestions?
I am unsure as to how to phrase it any differently, the washers are used to position the quadrant from side to side on the clutch shaft so that the groove in the quadrant lines up as straight as possible with the cable "hole" in the firewall.

They are used only on the clutch shaft, not on the lower pin where the pawl was originally mounted. It may take one on one side of the quadrant and three on the other, or two on either side, or all four on one side or the other.

When I got mine they did not ship any spacers and I had to make them, I think they ship four or five now (right?)...
Old 08-19-2011, 06:01 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

they shipped me four. forgive me, but when you say on the clutch shaft, are you referring to the peg that does or does not move when the clutch is pushed in? i'm assuming that you mean the peg that moves when the clutch is pushed in (the one closer to the firewall), meaning i have it installed incorrectly. the car never had a stock quadrant on it (started as an auto) so i have no basis of comparason.

Last edited by IRSmart; 08-19-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: clutch cable